Banus

Ideas for a dustbath container please?

Our 3 girls spend most of the day in their 3m Eglu run with woodchips for a base - see avatar pic. The woodchips ideal but are too co"Ooops, word censored!" for them to have a good bath in I need to 'install' a dustbath in their run. I have some dry clean earth but what can I put it in - bearing in mind that it can't be too large as it has to go in their run. Any ideas gratefully received..... :)

That's a good idea. It needs to have reasonably high sides as I don't want them to empty the dirt all over their cleanish woodchips. Can't be too large though as it has to go in their Eglu run ( which I have extended to 3m) and I still want them to have room to roam around in the run.

I have an eglu go with the two metre run, and use a 'cat litter' type tray which has reasonably high sides for a dustbath tray for four pekin bantams. They seem to like it and manage to dustbathe quite well in it. I've also put a branch in for them to perch on and a small platform, on which I found all four of them sharing today (huddled together for warmth no doubt).

we used to use a washing up bowl, had quite high sides, wasn't too large and didn't take up to much run space, although once we got a bit more confident and happy that our garden doesn't get any visitors (concrete under all the fences) we realised nothing could get in even if it wanted to. So we're lucky enough to let our girls free range 75% of the time.

But small dog bed / washing up bowl would be our suggestions. :) good luck :)

A small tyre is an option, I've used these in Eglu runs, the chickens like to sit round the edges too

I have tyres too..... the man at the garage loves me as I take away my old tyres and he does't have to get rid of them :D

As Redwing says....extra perching space too :)

All sorted. I bought one of those clear plastic stack and store bins approx 2' long x 18" wide with quite steep sides and it doesn't take up much room in the run. Filled with about 4" inches of fine dry soil and they dived in as soon as I'd set it up.