hibah Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 i have a with a walk in run i was thinking waking up at 6 o'clock then just opening the eglu then opening the walk in run letting them roam around int the garden when my dad comes back from work break 10-11 or when i come back from High school After putting them back in the run when its dark, Finally at the end putting them all back in the eglu so they don't panic if a fox comes. Then opening ....... and doing all of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that again Do you suggest any changes or if i wake up to early to be opening the eglu ruin my sleep(hehehe) What's you method? Thanks for the replies Much Appreciated Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 Hello and welcome hibah I don' have an eglu, but I open my chook house about 8.00 am at this time of year i.e. at first light. In the summer 'first light' would be way too early for me so the chook house gets opened about 7.00 on weekdays and not till 7.30 or 8.00 on weekends. It then gets closed back up again in the winter around 4.15pm at this time and in the hight of the summer at my bed time around 10.00, with graduations in between as the days get longer / shorter. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
auntielizzie Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 At the moment because it's so dark in the mornings, I let the girls out at about 8 am, just before I go out to work; otherwise it's just too dark and I can't see what I'm doing because I clean the house every morning (poo pick) and fluff up their nest boxes. They have generally gone to bed by the time I get back from work, so I just close them up at about 5.30pm. They only get to FR at the weekends at the moment as I don't leave them out if I'm not around. In the summer it's a bit different. I let them out as soon as I get up, so about 7 am, then they don't go to bed until dusk and I close them up later on. Really, it's just a case of what time of year it is and how much light there is. At the weekends then they usually have to wait for me to have a little bit of a lie in, unless my OH (who normally gets up earlier than me) goes and lets them out. In the summer months they also get to FR every day, as soon as I get in from work, then all day at the weekends when I am in. Hope that helps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mercedes55 Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 At the moment OH opens the doors to the Cube and the Eglu before he goes to work, so it's about 7.15am. It's quite funny as it's still dark and he reckons the girls glare at him as if he's woken them from their nice cosy sleep. They still all walk down the ramps though and start eating right away Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 I dont close any of my coops, I find its less of a tie so if I go out one evening I dont need to worry about getting back to shut them in I do have fox proof runs though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chuckmum6 Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 I too leave my cube door open all night, but let them out of the Cube train to free range when I get up, when I'm at work 6:50am and on holiday at 8:30 or later, they are currently having 3 weeks of late mornings as I'm on hol's. My cockerel always crows a 4am then goes back to sleep until 7 for his second wake up call, I'm sure the girls get really fed up with him waking them up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 At the moment I'm opening the door at 7.30am and closing it at 4.30pm Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 I am opening mine up at 7 ish and they get "locked up" about 5.30..I hate it I would not like to be shut up that long but it is for their own safety.In the light days they are out at 6 in the morning and shut up about about 10 ( stop outs) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 In the current darkness we let them out at 7-7:15, and shut them up at about 4:15. In summer, its usually about 6. It's my job on sundays to let them out, so I just get up then and then go back to bed and sleep Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 MIne too are let out about 7 15 to 7 30. Half (the greedy ones) come clucking out into the dark for a handful of corn..the others stay tucked up untill the feel like rising. They are left to free range all day and are tucked up in bed when I get home (apart for the one with the funny neck who tucks up on the grass and has to be put in the eglu). During the summer they are up at the same time but go to bed when the sun goes down or I go to bed! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 I dont close any of my coops, I find its less of a tie so if I go out one evening I dont need to worry about getting back to shut them in I do have fox proof runs though Me too. It's sooo much better than before when I had to lock up at night and open in morning. Less of a tie then and can sleep longer Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bantambabe Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 I only close the eglu door when there's going to be a frost. It's ok in term-time, but in the hols I don't want to get up at silly-o'clock to open the door for them. Saves me accidentally forgetting too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 We stick with first light and they put themselves to bed at dusk and we can pop out any time to shut the door. So at this time of year you get a lie in not so good in the height of summer when they want to get up at 4.30. Oh but I have been off this week and did oversleep not happy girls. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gem_xxx Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 My girls are pecking at the door the minute I'm up with the dog usually 6.30 every day so I let them out then and they take themselves to bed at half 4 at the moment so shut them in then. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Salop Chuck Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 Ditto CheakyChooks regime Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sammiboo Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 in the week 7.30 its still quite dark, at the weekend 8am. Close up between 16.30 - 17.00 if home Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 At the moment, opening hours are 0710 - 1610hrs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hibah Posted December 24, 2011 Author Share Posted December 24, 2011 Thanks everybody for the replies Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...