Christian

Planning on getting a dog.....pic page 7!!

Each to their own Sandie :wink: most of my lurcher friends allow them on the furniture too and can't understand me not permitting it. I've always been strict about where I will and won't allow dogs.... basically not upstairs at all and not on the human furniture.

I take it they're not allowed in bed with you either then? :whistle::silenced:

:oops::lol:

The dog warden has just called me back to say they have quite a few terrier types at the holding area......they stay here until they can find a suitable rescue centre somewhere in the country....I have called and they will call me back asap!

The downside is that the dogs haven't been vaccinated or chipped, but that isn't a problem, I can get that done :D Most haven't been there that long, some a few weeks, but most just pass through. She did say that one or two were really lovely, friendly dogs that might be suitable. She was also happy that I had spoken to the DOg warden and he had already done a home visit. :D

That's sounding promising :dance: Will you be able to go and visit any of the dogs to see how you get on with them? Sorting out the chipping and vaccinations is very easy and not expensive, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. You'll probably want to take your new dog to the vet anyway for an MOT so they can sort all that out at the same time. Do bear in mind though that there's no guarantee that the dogs would be neutered either - easy to tell with the boys :lol: but not so easy to tell with the girls, unless there is an obvious scar. Our rescue dog Tango was taken in as a stray, and we only found out she hadn't been spayed when she came into season. Just worth thinking about.

That sounds good.... just don't act on impulse!

It is usually part of the agreement that you get them neutered when you rehome. They would usually be vaccinated, wormed and de-flea'd. Check around and see if the PDSA etc are doing discounts on chipping; they sometimes do.

I have a couple of spare small dog sized crates if you need to borrow one - they usually feel more secure and sleep better in one at first.

As they haven't been assessed, it might be worth asking if you can foster on a trial basis to see how you get on - dogs take at least 2 weeks to settle in, but at least you'll get an idea if you are going to get on or not after 48 hours.

Yes, will get the dog spayed/neutered as soon as I can. :D This place is a holding area that the dogs stay at until they can find homes for them in rescue centres, but not normally open to the public. She did say that they require a donation, but don't ask for a set fee as they are just happy the dog has found a good home. She also mentioned having the dog for a trial period being ok.....

I need to get a crate anyway Clare, thanks (well, 2 as one will stay at Mum's) but won't get it until I have the dog - so I know the correct size. A friend has several that I could borrow :D

So excited now....! Trying to resist the urge to go dog shopping for bowls, toys, a bed and a lead..... :lol: I WILL be sensible about the dog though and am not rushing into it. Mum and Dad have booked a holiday in June when I am working, so arranging leave just in case I have a dog by then. My weeks holiday is in July and they are around, so that is fine.

Once we have a dog, Mum knows that she can only go away in my part time week off and will be sort out when that is etc. :wink: I usually take a couple of leave days and days off around it anyway, so usually only work 13-14 days a month and some of those days are, say 1 flight back from somewhere landing at 9am, then pootling down the M3 home.

Blimey, I can talk alot....... :lol:

uh oh....Mum has found a 1 year old liver & white Springer spaniel not far from us. Was dropped off at a vet's surgery for a minor procedure and the owners didn't pick her up. Fake name, address and number left. People are so wicked.

Might have to look tomorrow.....

Never fails to amaze me either Olly, and that's not the half of it; when you get involved in rescues, you begin to lose faith in humanity... and then the fosterers and rescuers come along...... :)

Do bear in mind that you won't have a moment's peace with a springer, they are very high energy. I'd vote for a schnauzer myself; they have a lovely nature, are great fun, don't shed and have very little odour. So if you're a tidy person then they're ideal.

uh oh....Mum has found a 1 year old liver & white Springer spaniel not far from us. Was dropped off at a vet's surgery for a minor procedure and the owners didn't pick her up. Fake name, address and number left. People are so wicked.

Might have to look tomorrow.....

Makes me so :twisted: when I hear stories like this. A girl I often meet dog walking has a 1 year old Jack Russell, it's a gorgeous, cheeky little thing. She works at a vets, and last Christmas Eve (2010) a lady came into the vets with 3 JR pups. She had bred them for Christmas :evil: and still had 3 pups left at Christmas Eve, so left them at the vets declaring she couldn't possibly look after them as she was going away for Christmas so could they deal with them?

All three pups went home with vet staff that night. I don't know whether the other two pups stayed with the families they went home with, but this little chap did.

Sounds like a dog of fate to me too, but you will know if its right for you when you see it :D

I love Schnausers! they are full of character and i love their little grumpy looking faces, there are few where i walk George and they never fail to make me smile :D

If i was thinking of a 2nd dog, they would definately be on top of my wish list.......after a cavalier KC maybe :lol: