Christian

Planning on getting a dog.....pic page 7!!

What a gorgeous scruffster Milo is! I bet you can't wait to bring him home.

I also have a rescue dog brought over from Ireland - she is such a cutie. You'll no doubt spend quite a bit of time wondering where some of his quirky behaviours have come from or wondering what his past life might have been like.

Be sure to post lots and lots more photos of Milo once you bring him home. We can't wait to hear how he settles in with you.

Well done Milo, what a lucky boy you are! :clap:

I used to have an Irish dog, Zara. She came over here on a greyhound transporter van. Dogs that are signed over to pounds in Ireland by owners don't have to do their seven days, the pounds are allowed to PTS immediately if they want to. Zara and her sister were signed over by their owners. When the van was loaded up with dogs taking a one way trip to the vets there was only space for one more so they took Zaras sister :cry: Zara went on the list to go the next day. I saw a photo of her online and contacted the rescue that dealt with that pound and begged them to get her out and send her over to me. Zara was a lovely dog but after four years she and my Springer "Ooops, word censored!" decided they didn't want to live together anymore. After one fight too many Zara went to live with one of my daughters friends. I still see her from time to time, she's very happy, and I'd do the same again if I was in a position to adopt another dog.

so pleaseed about you and Milo.... I want a cuddle of that adorable little man.

Until i read this I did not know about the Irish dogs. I know we have the 7 day rule here, but are the irish ones brought over because we have more rescue centres, or we are more likely to take in a rescue dog?

I know the Englishman loves his dogs, but no idea how they are viewed in Ireland. My only experience is the Irish lady across the road who believes that all animals should be kept in the garage.

More likely to be rehomed over here; a slightly general statement but the Irish aren't generally into rescue animals, for the most part their animals including dogs are kept outdoors and discarded when they are no longer able to do their job. A lot of the strays, especially hunting dogs like lurchers are thrown out of moving vans on a busy road and left to fend for themselves. I have one of those dogs.

In Ireland dogs do tend to be seen as outdoor animals - particularly in the country! But it's not always the case. There are shelters, few and far between, in my sisters village the vet takes care of strays and finds them homes where possible. But you do see dogs running loose in the countryside. There are good and bad owners! Maybe this goes back to when food was so scarce and pets were a luxury few could afford? Not sure!

i might be able to do home checks for them, but i have never owned a dog so would need 'training'. I dont think i could foster because of the cats, I didnt think lurchers and cats got on well. But, i would love to do anything. This year is my new start. With the focus on animals and also alternative therapy (started my aromatherapy training on saturday)

I have been teetering on edge of getting a dog for some time. I was looking at rescue dogs, but on reflection am going to looking for a puppy. My son is Autistic and relates really well to dogs, but all advice sugggests that he will bond better with a pup! So I am on the look out for a small Heinz 57 variety - the scruffier the better!

i might be able to do home checks for them, but i have never owned a dog so would need 'training'. I dont think i could foster because of the cats, I didnt think lurchers and cats got on well. But, i would love to do anything. This year is my new start. With the focus on animals and also alternative therapy (started my aromatherapy training on saturday)

Most greyhounds don't get on well with small furries because of their training to chase a lure, some can be trained out of it though.

I have 2 lurchers which mostly ignore the cats, my friend's lurchers sleep curled up with her cats.

Why not get in touch with a rescue in your area (or start with Lurcher Link which is countrywide) and see if they need any help with dog walking, fostering, transport runs or homechecks.

louisewomble; I have no experience of autism myself but vaguely know of a couple of people with autistic children and dogs. From experience, puppies can sometimes be haphazard and reactive - I'm not sure how this would work with an autistic child though. All rescue dogs will be child-checked and rated (or ought to be) retired greyhounds are on the whole very gentle and certainly child-friendly.