Christian

Planning on getting a dog.....pic page 7!!

Aww what a gorgeous boy Milo is! Don't worry too much about his weight, it's better to go by eye (in my opinion) you should be able to feel his ribs if you press them lightly, but not see them, and he should have a noticeable waist. Any more than that, he needs to lose a bit of weight, any less and he needs to gain some.

The accidents in the house will probably lessen as you learn to read the signals for him asking to go in the garden. My parents' dog stands by the back door and whines when he wants to go out - easy peasy. I assumed Tango would do the same, but no, she paces and paces in circles when she needs to go, and then when she REALLY needs to go she will pace and whine. It took us a while to work this out!

It must be awful for the poor mite, he has had so many changes this week

He'll soon settle down, I reckon the settling in period is somewhere between 2-4 weeks, then he will start to realise you are his family. It's lovely when this happens, when you start to realise that you've been accepted as his very own human. On the downside, some of his more quirky traits might begin to appear! :lol:

Enjoy getting to know Milo, he sounds like a lucky boy to have found such a great home.

Don't worry about the stress widdles Christian, as the others have said, they will settle down. Do you want to borrow my DAP spray? It will really calm him down and you don't need much to chill them out.

Cyrus did stress widdles for a couple of days then her adapted to our routine and now he has a bladder like a watermelon. :shock:

If he seems nervy after a month then I can give you the details of a very good T Touch therapist near Reading; I know of her through another contact and she's been really good at helping with Ruby's sensitivity and anxiety.

He isn't stressing really- currently lying on his back, with me feeling rough on the sofa, having his tummy tickled!!

2 poos indoors so far, by the door! But I don't want to follow him around everywhere. He already follows me, so working on that. Trouble is, he doesn't give me any sign! No pacing, noise or anything. I just take him into the garden often and hope he goes :lol:

He is a lucky boy to have so many lovely aunties! :D

Yay!! He went outside to do his (big) morning ablutions! :lol::lol: Lots of praise from me and a few treats. :wink:

Today I need to leave him alone for a while and go out. WIll just pop down the road for milk etc and see how he is alone. The foster lady said he was fine left alone, but he had other dogs for company there.

Aw Well Done Milo, going outside :clap:

If you havent been out yet, dont make a huge fuss of it, difficult not to i know, i just used to throw a few little treats on the floor and go straight out the door, the less fuss you make the better. If you make a big fuss of him before you go out, he will wonder whats going on and fret.

Let us know how he copes :D

A friend popped over this morning and I asked her to ignore him, as he is scared of strangers. Within an hour, she was rubbing him tummy! :lol: He is a lovely dog!

I filled his kong with meaty treats, put his bed in the kitchen and shut the doors, then left. Only went to the garage to get milk but was gone for about 15 minutes. Peeped through the window and he was asleep in his bed 8) Will leave him for longer this afternoon, plus it is ex's birthday, so going out for dinner and will be gone about an hour and a half. I think he'll be fine. :D

Whatever you do, don't tie him up and leave him outside a shop! A friend of a friend did just that with a labadoodlepoodle!!! puppy and got back and no puppy. Never found, probably put into a van and sold for ££s, upside is probably with a nice family now...but the EVIL people who stole him...the family had just lost their Dad a few months earlier. Very sad!

Plus you will have the whole forum looking out for him, he is so cute!

More pics PLEASE!!!

Christian, that is exactly what I do with Tango when she has to be left alone. She gets a stuffed kong or a treat ball with dried dog treats in to keep her occupied for a short while. She gets excited when we go out now, because it means treat time! :lol: She has never seemed to fret when we leave her alone because it means nice things :D

You are also doing the right thing by starting to leave Milo alone soon after you have brought him home. We spoke to a dog trainer when we first got Tango who said a lot of people who get a rescue dog don't leave them home alone at all for the first few weeks, but this often means they then can't cope when they do have to be left. If you're going to leave them then start straight away, even if only for a short while and then build it up. It's just part of the normal routine that way.

Sounds like you've got it all sorted though!

Well I went out for dinner and was gone an hour and a half. I left him in the kitchen with his bed, a stuffed Kong and not too far from the Rayburn. Radio on, and I ad to wake him when I got back as he was spark out! :lol::lol:

No puddles, which is great and we are starting to understand each other with regard to when and how often to go out. I am writing it down :oops: but I will forget otherwise :lol: There is a definite pattern forming! :clap:

Had to drive Ex to Southampton airport this morning and was gone for 90 minutes again. He was fine and in his bed when I got back. :clap::clap: He is Milo the wonder dog!!

He and I are off to visit Mum (now known as Grandma :lol: ) today. That is where he will be staying when I go to work. A visit today, on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and finally staying on Sunday when I go back to the grind of work. I think he will work out really well as he seems really chilled out now. Ex stayed last night and Milo has taken to him already :D

Time for a walk now!

I will take pictures just as soon as I can. He is camera shy and always looks away!

4 hours at Grandma's house and he was very wary about her at first, even though they have met twice, Within 10 minutes he had explored the house and garden and was crashed out by the patio door! Chilled out dog! He is amazing in the car, curls up into a ball and sleeps on the back seat :shock::D

I need to get him some sort of seat belt, but not sure which type? Any ideas?

Oh, and no marking at Grandma's house! :dance: However, took my eyes off him for 2 seconds and he dashed up stairs and did it under my desk, against a carrier bag. He likes carrier bags :roll::roll::lol: So that is nearly room in the house now, except the kitchen - I have heard they won't go where they eat/sleep - so hoping that is it now!?

I had a Clix car harness originally, but it was rubbish. The webbing started fraying within a couple of weeks and then eventually Tango chewed her way through it. No great loss as it was coming to pieces anyway.

I now have an Ezydog harness, which is so much better. It's a walking harness but comes with a seatbelt attachment which is much better. No faffing around with taking the harness on and off, you can just let the dog out of the car and then clip the lead onto the harness.

Bergan car harnesses are the creme de la creme of car harnesses as they are crash tested, but are much pricier.

The Ezydog harness is generally well reviewed in dog circles.

I can't remember what make ours is but I'll try to remember to look tomorrow. I hardly use it - it's just kept in one of the stow lockers in the van - I last used it a year ago when Ruby had to go on the back seat while we used the boot as a dog ambulance for a badly injured hound.

If you're planning to use it on every journey then I;d get the best you can find/afford and try it on Milo and see if the pet shop will let you try it out in your car.