Christian

Planning on getting a dog.....pic page 7!!

We both slept through the night and he didn't bother about the wound, so I left the collar off. He spent 30 seconds licking the last bit of blood away and hasn't touched it since. :D Still subdued this morning, but seems brighter, whining every so often, but will take him for a little walk shortly. He wasn't interested in breakfast, hut nothing new there! I have just given him a pig's ear :vom: which is his favourite treat and he is munching on that.

Loads of cuddles and attention today. He is following me everywhere, so must still feel out of sorts. He is booked in on Friday for a check up, all internal stitches and some superglue, so should be ok. :D:D

A little update on MWD (Milo the wonder dog as named by my 6 year old niece) :lol:

The first 8 weeks was fine, no problems, the spraying stopped and he is coming back when called. He then decided to nip a friend on the leg :shock: Then another friend, so the Dog WHisperer was called......he is undergoing training now and after 2 weeks it seems to be working. He has no access to the front door and has to stay in his basket when friends first come over - on his house training lead. Anyone that comes round has to completely ignore him, no eye contact - something I was told to do when I come in and it seems to be doing the trick. When he is settled he is allowed to wander around and sniff them, but they aren't to touch him at first. He soon chills out and will then sit on their feet and expect a stroke! :lol:

When i have put the shopping away etc etc, I look at him and then he comes bounding over, excited to see me. It is hard to do at first, but it so much easier to come in with shopping without a dog jumping al over you.

He is doing really well apart from the 'nipping'. The Dog lady seemed to think that he has done well that it only took 8 weeks for the behaviour to start......it usually happens after 6 months from rescue, when the dog is settled. So he must be settled 8) Apart from that, he is an absolute joy! I love walking him (2 hours a day on 3 walks)! and being around him has improved my general mood after the split and move etc. I couldn't imagine life without his furry little face now :D

I just need more visitors to come round for him to get used to other people. Small steps, but he hasn't nipped or growled for a couple of weeks and is loving playing with other dogs when out walking now.

I managed to catch a picture of him coming out from under the spare bed -

CUTEMILO.jpg

I'm so glad you posted as I was going to ask for an update.

Time flies and my puppy Coco is now 6 months, she has just started jumping up, particulary in the morning when we first go downstairs or when we come home. So should we just ignore her until she settles?

She also appears to be going through her teenage years???? Ignoring us, and running away when we let her out in the garden, she does not come back for ages. DH was trying for an hour recently!!!! Luckily we have no neighbours but its blooming annoying. Any idea?

Lillybettybabs is a dog trainer and will no doubt have better advice from me, but if Ruby is being demanding and playing up then I ask her to sit and wait for attention so that she is focussed on me, then she has to go back to her bed on command and wait until I am ready to speak to her. Cyrus is lovely and has picked up quickly on the manners thing but is hopelessly dim in other respects :roll: I always ignore them when i come in or get up in the morning until I am ready to deal with them.

They do go off plot with the training sometimes and you have to go back to basics and use high value treats such as liver cake or home made tuna cake or cooked sossidges to get their attention back. It's normal to have to remind them unless they are utility dogs like LBB's which are constantly doing training so always have reminders.

CatieB, I would completely ignore her when you come down in the morning/or come in. If she jumps up, just turn away and she will get down. Don't make eye contact and when she is calm, then look at her, you should find that she comes up to you and you can then make a fuss of her. Hard to do at first, but does work.

With regard to her recall, try a training lead. A 10m 'Clik' lead cost around £5 on ebay and worked really well for MIlo when I first got him. I take treats on every walk, kibble, sausage in bits, small bits of cheese and small biscuits treats. Every time he comes back, he gets 1 treat, or a couple of just praise, so he never knows what he is going to get. Keeps his guessing :wink::lol: He comes back immediately 9 times out of 10. The odd occasion that he doesn't, there is usually a rabbit/pheasant or deer involved. :roll: However, he does comes back and the best thing to do is walk the other way and say 'this way'. Works for me! Good luck with her!

No expert here, but I agree that you probably need to go back to basics. I know how you feel as I have a dog who has frequent moments of forgetfulness with her recall command :roll: There are many, many more things she finds more interesting out on a walk than boring old me!

Like DM, I take lots of high value rewards out with me on a walk - dried liver, fishy biscuits, tennis ball (Tango is ball obsessed). We do recall little and often, even when she doesn't 'need' to come back to me, it helps her think that coming back is fun and not the end of a walk or going back on the lead. I mix up the treats so she doesn't know which she is going to get when she comes back. Even so, I still get complacent from time to time and think her recall is pretty solid, and then suddenly she'll show me just how daft I was to get complacent by disappearing for half an hour chasing bunnies leaving me panicking as to where she has gone!

Perhaps go right back to practising recall in the house and rewarding with lots of praise and a treat when Coco comes to you (first time you call!). Then move onto doing this in the garden, you could even keep her on a line if you need to. Lots of recall practice and a reward for an immediate recall. Maybe that will help her understand that recall doesn't always mean the end of her garden fun and is in fact something quite enjoyable!

Thanks All!

I still have a long way to go with the 'stranger danger' training :roll::lol: I do not trust him fully yet, but it will come.

I had a go at doing 'paw' with him yesterday. Lots of bits of kibble and he learnt it in 15 minutes 8) He is quite clever it would appear!

If you want to get a dog to pay attention to you, try the 'touch game'; get the dog to touch one of your hands before you give a treat, get them into it by tapping that hand lightly on his nose and saying 'touch' in a light tone before giving the treat. Once they get used to it you can hide your hand behind your back. Ruby loves this one but Cyrus can't fathom it out. :roll:

If you're using a long line then please attach it to a harness not their collar or if they take off at a run, it will pull your arm out of its socket and probably damage the dog's neck.

Thanks Clare, yes, the long line is always attached to his harness when we are out. I use his collar and short lead to get to the field and when he walks to heel, but always have the harness on him. :D

He is now eating well and will hoover up his breakfast/dinner. I caved in and bought James Well beloved meaty pouches, which I split into about 6 meals, just a spoonful with warm water, mixed with his kibble and he eats it straight away.

The dog trainer said any food not eaten in 10 minutes gets put away. It took him one day to learn that lesson :lol:

I would recommend getting The Good Little Dog book by Doctor Dunbar,It is written for puppy's in mine

i have recommend it to a few people who have rescue dogs and need to start from scratch with training.

Has she mentioned and to much excersise can sometimes have a stimulating effect rather than a relaxing one?

A little update on MIlo :D

It has now been six months and I couldn't ask for a better friend! He is doing so well with everything. When I go to work he goes to my Mum's and is great in the car, just jumps in, harness and seatbelt on and goes to sleep. 8)

I don't get many visitors, so when I do they are warned at the door (ignore him and don't look at him). He hasn't growled or nipped anyone in 3 months :D so we are getting there. I have found a copse nearby, and although it is a mile there, 1.5 miles around the copse and a mile back, it is a lovely walk and I can let him off. He usually comes back when called, but if he gets the 'scent' he will vanish. He always comes back eventually :roll: I am working on that :lol::lol: I have an app on my phone and we usually do a 5 mile walk, which is great for my excess wobbly bits too! :oops:

He has put on a kilo, but has also grown a bit. He's taller now and his feet don't look too big for his body, so am guessing he was around 9 months old not 1-2 as originally thought.

When he is with Mum and Dad, he meets lots of other dogs and is good with all of them. Not a huge fan of joggers in hi-vis vests, but that is he only concern. My Niece and Nephew love him and he is good with them too. I think Dad's blood pressure is coming down, as they are always out for walks now. 8)8)

All in all, he is wonderful! :lol::lol: The whole family love him and he gets us all out walking even in the rain :wink: I couldn't imagine life without him now!

CUTEMILO1.jpg

hello all you dog people :) i love the forum for chicken and duck chat and am thrilled i've found a v long chat about dogs! i have 3 an old springer-dotty still bonkers out on a walk but an old lady in the house, inca my black lab 4 and my naughty buddy we homed him a couple of xmas's ago we were his third home and he was only 4 months :( he's very sweet to look at but by far the hardest work! also am taking inca to 1to1 training a few problems developed with her around other dogs my trainer thinks its a pack thing as i have 3 and inca is bullied at home so tries out being a bully when she's out. anyway time to get the dogs out now, see you later x