Christian

Planning on getting a dog.....pic page 7!!

I have split this from the New Year's thread in NB......

I have been looking at getting a dog for a while now......didn't seem possible as I work away from home a few nights a month. However, I spoke to my Mum about it and she is interested in having a dog again, but they go away for a week or so, 4 times a year (they have a house in Germany). We have decided to dog share. The dog would be mine and I would pay for food, insurance etc and he/she would live with me when I am home - and live with my Mum when I am away. I pass her house on the way to work, so that is easy.

A few friends dog share and it works really well. I also have a few friends locally that could dog sit if there was a problem.

Good luck with getting a dog Christian; they are great company and exercise. :D

Thanks Clare, just need to find the right scruffy rescue terrier now 8)

Happy Birthday BTW! :D

What sort of terrier are you looking for Christian? I can keep an eye open for you. You'd have to complete a homecheck if you are taking on a rescue and they are pretty strict about people who work, but provided that you have provisions made, then you'll be OK. I do homechecks for a couple of charities.

Something smallish Clare. I like the look of a Parson Terrier :D Something scruffy would be perfect. WOuld love another Springer, but too hyper :lol: Mum and I will be dog sharing, so she will look after him when I am at work, as she lives on the way. :D

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Parson_Russell_Terrier.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Parson_Russell_Terrier.jpg&h=407&w=400&sz=100&tbnid=suqag9m5u0tLmM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=88&prev=/search%3Fq%3DParson%2Bterrier%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Parson+terrier&docid=YMyHZyesYrejsM&sa=X&ei=cNsBT767JcTY8gOg8smaAQ&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAQ&dur=5778

Not in a rush (he says, desperate to get a dog) so will take my time and find the right one. Have had a chat with the local dog warden who was looking at next door's dogs (long, boring story) and he came in and did an unofficial home check there and then. Gave me his card and said to mention his name and number to my local rescue. He would vouch for my house/garden/surrounding fields as being suitable! 8)

Thanks Clare

I have had a WIR built for the hens. Concrete base, weld mesh, a decent roof and rat/terrier proof!

The house that I have moved to is next to a woodland path, with miles of woodland and fields to walk :D One of the reasons I moved here (and the house is lovely :D ).

I have little experience with terriers, but have read an awful lot and have a couple of friends with PJRs.....I grew up with Springer spaniels. Was tempted with a Cocker spaniel but think a scruffy little mutt would be best. It doesn't have to be a pure breed. A 'bitsa' would do me (the Dog Warden called it that, a bit of this and a bit of that)!! :lol:

My dearly departed Henry was a cross bred abandoned terrier, I couldnt trust him with the hens when they were free ranging :notalk: but he was an amazing dog :D I had 16 fabulous years with him.

We also "dog shared", as OH and I both work full time, he used to go down my in laws 2 streets away when we were in work, and so everyone had the best of both worlds... Mostly Henry :wink:

Won't bore with details but in laws health has taken a turn for the worse, so we won't be having another dog :( but if you Mum is healthy and wants the arrangement, I strongly recommend it :D

Mum retired last year and really misses a dog. Dad wasn't too keen (but he wasn't with the other two we had :wink: ), but have just spoken to Mum and they went for a walk today. Saw loads of dogs out and about and Dad mentioned it would be nice again :lol::lol:

I have looked into the cost, insurance, food, etc etc and can afford it. Mum and Dad said they will pay 'their' way too :wink:

Will just wait for the right dog. I plan to visit the Dogs Trust next week to register and have a look....

Good luck with your dog hunt Christian - hope you find the right one soon. They are great company, despite the smell and dust and mess, I wouldn't be without mine. I have a smelly springer curled up beside me right now - hogging the throw and my new cushions :roll::roll::roll::wink:

We had a jack russell that loved DIGGING!!!!!!! Down badger holes, rabbit holes, fox dens...you get the picture!! I wouldn't have trusted him with chickens at all unless I wanted the chickens dead! Terriers are bred to chase and kill and don't let anyone persuade you otherwise!!! We had to have ours rehomed, he was in the wrong environment...was rehomed to a gardener who worked outside all day long. I have a friend who has a very well behaved jack russell...but he is always on the look out to chase a rat!

I have a friend with a Parson Russell, its a delightful little dog but always up to something :lol: I dont think she would be without it though :D I have a Welsh Terrier, also very nice and we looked at Fox, Irish and Lakeland Terriers too when looking - all scruffy lovely dogs :D

Ooh good luck with your search Christian, if yo wanted a cocker spaniel there is breed rescue that are great :D equally a scruffy mutt wouldbe lovely :lol: You have really thought it through and. Wish you the very best with it, we do expect pictures when the dog arrives, which I see you refer to as him already :lol: xx

Edited by Guest

I have a King Charles curled up beside me & a Springer spread over my feet. Both are great with the chickens (as you can see from my aviator) I wish you luck as we wouldn't be without our pooches.

You will know which one he/she is when you see him/her.

Good luck & patience for the right one :D

If you're friendly with the dog warden then it might be worth asking him to let you know when any come into the pound... they are usually kept for 7 days, then if not claimed, they go out to rescues or are PTS.

My great grandparents had various terriers, which they worked, lovely dogs but very restless.

I used to dog sit for a friend until they moved away; she had a wee jack russell, very cute (see below) who came to stay with me when mum was away; lovely dog but very restless even in her own home. I'm used to couch potato lurchers who lie in their beds by the stove all day until it's running around time.

6a00ccff898588673101101863c60e860f.jpg

Good luck finding your heart dog, just as a tip, most rescues are happy for you to take the dog out for walks or have for a weekend/couple of weeks' foster to see how you get on - a good rescue will want to make sure that you are suited and happy. :D

Are you going for a puppy or an adult dog Christian? A good solid terrier is great if well trained but a nightmare if not - can be said of most breeds though. Jack Russell crosses are often good as it dilutes the terrier instincts. My first dog was a Jack Russell Border Collie cross. She was a real sweetie and inherited the good bits of both breed thankfully. I think that a mellow breed of dog would be good if you are going to be dog sharing. Some bright working and guarding and more intelligent breeds can 'over think' life and may get a bit stressy moving between houses.

I agree, JRTs and other similar terriers like to be kept company/amused. They can be a bit full-on and are busy little critters.

Every breed has certain traits which are often typical of that breed and not possible to train out. For instance, my two lurchers are very similar in their breeding make up but entirely different in their personalities; the difference is that Ruby has bearded collie in her which makes her a whole different pack of cards entirely.

Perhaps it might be worth looking at what type of dog you want personality-wise, and how you'd like it to behave, then looking at which breeds/crosses have those traits.

Oh yes Christian. Can picture your doggy curled up in its basket infront of Stanley the Rayburn! :wink:

You lucky thing! I'd love a doggy, not sure Poppy cat would & working on hubby to have a doggy is just not worth the hassle! :roll: One day I'll get a doggy though! :pray: I too would have a Parsons Jack Russell. My sister has one & I love her to bits. Hubby does actually like her too.

Good luck!

Emma.x