Christian

Planning on getting a dog.....pic page 7!!

Ahh lovely update on the wonderful Milo. He sounds like a very happy dog and you sound like a very happy owner!

If he's not fussed on breakfast you could just feed him one meal a day in the evening, some dogs prefer it (not Tango, she likes about 20 meals a day, greedy dog! :lol: ).

He will soon get the hang of sitting out on his walkies too. Tango was a bit confused to start with too, she thought she only needed to do it at home :lol: but now as soon as a treat comes out she parks her bottom on the floor. She also has an embarrassing habit of going up to strangers, sitting nicely in front of them and waving her paw in the hope of a treat (and it often works :lol: ).

You should definitely set up a facebook page for Milo, it would be a great way of hearing all about his adventures.

I was tempted to feed him only once a day, but on advice from the vet, he said in the Winter it is better to feed twice as they need more energy....

He is back from his walk now and has eaten the lot! Flaked out in front of the Rayburn now, so that will give me a couple of hours to get housework done, then some sewing - I am really behind on a baby quilt I am making for ex OH's niece! :oops:

Have a week off now, so training will continue. Recall is the vital one, as until I can trust him to come back, I won't let him off his extendable lead. He did escape this week as I had a carpenter in and he left the gate open, but after running to the field down the lane, I called and he sprinted back to me 8)

Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed to fit as talking about food. We got our puppy about the same time as MWD and have just got her on the food we want. It's only meat and veg no grains or filler so you feed less of it volume wise. However coco wolfs it down, it doesn't touch the sides. All gone in less than 30 secs without chewing.

Expensive food shop says that is because she loves it. Um. Thoughts please. Does it mean she's starving as no fillers. she didn't eat the previous food so enthusiastically

I have an 18 months-ish dog who eats like that - she is very enthusiastic! I feed wet dog food in the morning which I mush up as much as I can to slow her down, if it's in chunks she just wolfs it down whole :shock: but if it's mashed up a bit she has to work harder to get it out of the bowl.

In the evening she eats raw meat (e.g. chicken thighs, lamb ribs) which she has to work at to eat as it can't be hoovered up like wet dog food and it does take her a good few minutes to have her dinner.

Milo took 2 hours to eat breakfast again today. About 4 minutes to eat dinner :lol: He isn't a greedy dog - something I am not used to, having owned 2 Springers before. :roll::lol:

He likes the crunch of his kibble, and has spent ages on a marrowbone from the Butchers today. I wasn't too keen on giving him a bone just yet, but he seems to enjoy it and his weapons grade flatulence has diminished.......... :D

I love these updates on Milo :D he sounds brilliant!

I've never had a dog so finding it really interesting. Hopefully one day...!

Me too. I work from home and we have a safe garden...and i like a good long walk and being outside...so it seems perfect! DH isn't keen though, so am also watching the 'how do you get round your other half' thread with interest :D

Awww its so lovely to read your updates. Milo sounds like he is having a whale of a time. What a heart in the mouth moment it must have been for you when he escaped :shock:

My George also can take hours to eat his breakfast but minutes to eat his tea so maybe its a small dog thing?

Ive started giving him about half the amount i used to at breakfast and he seems happy with that.

I love the picture, he just looks so happy and content :D

Tanner takes some food and walks off with it - he then either drops it or stands and munches it! I think the running off with food stems from his time with his brother and mum at the breeder - I think it was all for one - one for all! as far as food went. He runs off with it looking to see who's chasing him for it! ummm no-one!!! :doh: I sometimes sit with him so that he'll stay closer to his bowl and eat nicely, but he still tends to drops it on the floor all around his bowl and then eat it!

Well, I took him in at 8.30 ready for his op at 11. :(:(

He was so good and got in the crate with his blanket and sheep. :D Waiting frantically for the vet to call to say all is ok. He is being 'done' and microchipped today, plus a pedicure :wink:

Am baking like a lunatic to try and take my mind off it.

Thanks Clare, he has a collar ready. That'll be fun as he likes to sleep under my bed and there isn't much room :lol::lol:

The vet has just called and he is fine. Although he does have a slight hernia :? Must have been cart-dog in his previous life?? :roll: He has repaired it, but wants to keep a close eye on it just in case. I could hear Milo howling in the background, so I might not have to wait until 4pm to pick him up. Think the howling will drive the vet nurse mad :roll::lol:

Bless Milo, he will be just fine after his op. Tango was spayed a few weeks ago and apart from being very cold and shivery when I brought her home from the vets (shock? side effect of the anaesthetic?) she was back to normal far too soon!

I chose to have a doggy babygro/t-shirt rather than the cone of shame for Tango as I knew she wouldn't have tolerated the cone. The t-shirt covers the whole stomach area so the dog can't fuss at the stitches (needs to be hooked forward crop-top style for wee wees though!). She was fine with wearing it.

Milo may well not fuss at his stitches but if he does I'd be happy to pop the t-shirt in the post to you - might be better than the cone? I think he's a similar size to Tango, she's about 10.5kg. Hopefully he won't be bothered though.

Thanks LB, the vet said he hasn't started licking yet. He is 12 kgs a stocky little fella (like his owner :oops: ), so maybe it would fit? Will let you know, thank you! :D

I hope Milo is back to normal really soon. I liked the post above it made me raise my eyebrows. I have never seen a picture of you but have read many of your posts and the above doesnt fit with my mental image, isnt it funny how we build mental images- :lol:

Oh dear now wondering if I'm weird and if it is just me that does it :oops: In my mind you are about 30 give or take 5 years, tallish (5 foot 10 or so), slender with short mid colour hair.

note to self must stop building mental images of people

Actually, I'm 6'4 and broad with a mane of thick luxurious hair....... :wink:

He is back home and very subdued. A lovely green bandage on his paw, but hasn't been bothering the wound site yet. He is really sleepy and docile, but is eating a bit of dinner and drinking. He remembered his bone and is still dragging that around the house. An early night for both of us I think. :D