Luvachicken

A question of spelling

Not really a question of spelling, but something was bugging us at school today...!

Which of these is correct...

"It was sarcasm" or "It was sarcastic"

We were talking about a text that someone sent the other day.

Both could be correct.

"It was sarcasm" is saying that the text was an example of sarcasm. Since it contained those elements of sarcasm, you could go on to describe it by saying "the text was sarcastic". Sarcasm is a noun, sarcastic is an adjective.

Ah thank you Major :D You have a wealth of knowledge ;)

Cinnamon has already touched on the "math" thing :evil: .Whilst we do use this in house sometimes as a joke (a la Fast Show) I heard a native speaker use it on Radio 4 the other day :shock:

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I have always assumed "Maths" is a contraction of Mathematics..a subject.(maybe it should be written Math's?) but what does "math" derive from?

An Australian friend of mine was very perplexed that we said Hoover rather than vacuming,as Hoover is a brand name.

Likewise,she asked why we called the vaporub Vick,when in fact it says Vicks on the jar.

I think that the variances between countries languages is really interesting :D

Something that always puzzles me is whether to use a collective noun as a plural or a singular. I think the BBC makes it a singular so that must be right, but is sometime sounds odd e.g. the flock runs to get mealworms / several chooks run in a group to get meal worms . . .

The thing to remember is that a collective noun simply lumps several things into a single group. At that point, the collective noun is used in the singular because there's only one group, and it doesn't matter how many items there are within it.

200 people could easily be called a crowd, but if they're all standing in the same place it's just one crowd (singular). Add another 200 people and you've still only got one crowd; it's just a bigger crowd. Tell half to stand at one end of a stadium and half at the other and you have two separate groups, therefore two crowds.

Therefore, if a collective noun refers to a single group, talk of it as one thing. If you have several groups, use the collective noun in the plural.

The thing to remember is that a collective noun simply lumps several things into a single group. At that point, the collective noun is used in the singular because there's only one group, and it doesn't matter how many items there are within it.

200 people could easily be called a crowd, but if they're all standing in the same place it's just one crowd (singular). Add another 200 people and you've still only got one crowd; it's just a bigger crowd. Tell half to stand at one end of a stadium and half at the other and you have two separate groups, therefore two crowds.

Therefore, if a collective noun refers to a single group, talk of it as one thing. If you have several groups, use the collective noun in the plural.

Many thanks for that explanation. I'll remember that. I also realise why my pack of 4 dogs always seems like a plural not a singular - they are always spread all over the stadium (i.e.park). My singular flock of chickens are also always spread pooping all over the garden :roll::lol: