Luvachicken

A question of spelling

I think that there is something about using screens that makes it harder to spell or just harder to spot one's errors. Today, to my horror, an email that I had sent came back to me (the way they do, with loads of answers attached) and I saw I had written 'determinde' - like that, with an 'e' at the end :doh::oops::oops: I'd even put it in the title :anxious:

Not really a question of spelling, but something was bugging us at school today...!

Which of these is correct...

"It was sarcasm" or "It was sarcastic"

We were talking about a text that someone sent the other day.

Both could be correct.

"It was sarcasm" is saying that the text was an example of sarcasm. Since it contained those elements of sarcasm, you could go on to describe it by saying "the text was sarcastic". Sarcasm is a noun, sarcastic is an adjective.

Oooer, what have I started :oops:

Actually something else that bothers me is when people, newsreaders especially, say things like "An hotel, an hospital " etc. I'm sure I was taught at school that you used "an" if the next word started with a vowel.

And as for a woman being a hero - why isn't she a heroine anymore ?

And why do newreaders nod their heads all the time that someone else is talking ?

Actually something else that bothers me is when people, newsreaders especially, say things like "An hotel, an hospital " etc. I'm sure I was taught at school that you used "an" if the next word started with a vowel.

And why do newreaders nod their heads all the time that someone else is talking ?

Words beginning with "h" can sometimes have confusing rules. "Hotel", for example, historically has a silent "h", so would be referred to using "an". Unfortunately, not all words beginning with "h" follow the same rule, so personally I see no point in trying to stop the language evolving to something more standardised.

Oh, and newsreaders don't nod their heads whilst someone else is talking. They're even more cynical than that. In fact, they're filmed nodding their heads during some inane and trivial chatter as a preamble to the interview, then the footage is adjusted in the cutting room to make it look like the interviewer was interested in the interviewee's answers. Smoke and mirrors....

Words beginning with "h" can sometimes have confusing rules. "Hotel", for example, historically has a silent "h", so would be referred to using "an". Unfortunately, not all words beginning with "h" follow the same rule, so personally I see no point in trying to stop the language evolving to something more standardised.

Oh, and newsreaders don't nod their heads whilst someone else is talking. They're even more cynical than that. In fact, they're filmed nodding their heads during some inane and trivial chatter as a preamble to the interview, then the footage is adjusted in the cutting room to make it look like the interviewer was interested in the interviewee's answers. Smoke and mirrors....

:lol::lol: poor newsreaders..................

I can never pick apart somones spelling simply because i understand what it's like to not be able to. I'm a dyslexic and it doesn't matter how many times i check something a mistake will always slip through. What really gets my goat is when somone decides to correct me. If your message come across despite the fact that a word is mispelt or an apostrophy is in the wrong place then what does it matter. I understand with things like websites that take a long time and you build them but in emails and things that are done quickly i don't have time to be proof reading them for hours before i send them.

I don't post on internet forums like this one very much because i don't have the time to spend 30 mins proofreading every post and the number of times people correct my spelling as a way of attempting to undermine my point.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said Woodcat

Sage

I can never pick apart somones spelling simply because i understand what it's like to not be able to. I'm a dyslexic and it doesn't matter how many times i check something a mistake will always slip through. What really gets my goat is when somone decides to correct me. If your message come across despite the fact that a word is mispelt or an apostrophy is in the wrong place then what does it matter. I understand with things like websites that take a long time and you build them but in emails and things that are done quickly i don't have time to be proof reading them for hours before i send them.

I don't post on internet forums like this one very much because i don't have the time to spend 30 mins proofreading every post and the number of times people correct my spelling as a way of attempting to undermine my point.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said Woodcat

Sage

Don't think I have ever seen anyone on here be rude enough to correct someone else's spelling - obviously not the same on other forums. I would not dream of picking apart someone's grammar on a forum - the height of rudeness !

I think the point of this thread is to moan about spellings etc on places where they should be correct - eg newspapers, billboards, shop signs etc, not to make anyone nervous about posting in case they get marked like they were in school

Interesting about the H.

Is that why Americans say erbs instead of herbs.

Doesn't explain the math thing of course.........

Yes, we say erbs instead of herbs, but we pronounce the h on hotel and hospital! I think of the silent h as a French thing and I guess we like to be opposite in which words we choose to use the French pronunciation!

If we are talking about pet peeves, it makes me a little annoyed when people write "of" instead of "'ve," as in "should of" instead of should've. I'm mostly afraid that it will rub off on me and I will start doing it incorrectly! :lol:

I think the point of this thread is to moan about spellings etc on places where they should be correct - eg newspapers, billboards, shop signs etc, not to make anyone nervous about posting in case they get marked like they were in school

Absolutely what I thought too :D .

I hate "could of" too and also "I done" instead of "I did" .