chickencam

Come out in a rash

I woke up with a headache this morning and felt a bit under the weather, had some paracetamol and felt better. I went out for lunch with my OH and had a small glass of white wine and a strong coffee, one of these brought my headache back with vengeance. we did a quick shop on the way home and when we had put it away and done a couple of other things I decided to have a nap in the hope of shaking my headache. I slept for about 45 mins and felt a bit better. I have been snuggled on the sofa with a blanket this evening and got a bit hot, then after I had thrown the blanket off I noticed that my wrist was itchy, since then I have come out in a rash all over and now my ears are throbbing. Anyone aware of a virus around that is doing this?

I am fully immunised and it was more of a hives type rash than the red pinpricks that make people scared :anxious: It did worry me last night though because it became quite bad on my chin upto my bottom lip, I started to resemble a ventriloquist's dummy :oops: and my ears were numb and throbbing. I went to bed after I was fairly sure that it wasn't getting any worse or affecting my breathing, although I have got a dry cough today. It was really angry and merged before I went to bed and I was pretty much bright red all over, I slept ok but was aware of the itching for most of the night. It is much more subued today, but still itchy especially around my neck and lower arms and I feel a bit peaky. Hopefully it won't flare up again at least i don't have to go anywhere today, just sit in the warm and watch the snowflakes floating down.

Sounds like a bad case of hives - perhaps the cough is due to the reaction earlier and still not quite clear there. I was in A&E the other night - I didn't have the spots - just the swelling which was alarming. Had a bad case of hives some years ago when we had a glut of raspberries - although eating normal quantities is fine (we had them for brekkers, dinner and tea - and no room in the freezer)!

Glad you are feeling better though, but it is worrying as to what sets it off.

The only suspision that we did have is when we went out for lunch on Friday I had a cream and mushroom sauce with my meal and we did wonder that maybe they weren't bog standard mushrooms, they looked pretty normal but were only small. I have never had a reaction to any kind of mushroom before, we asked the restaurant and they said that they were normal button mushrooms.

I also ate quite a lot of cheese on Friday and had a both paracetamol and ibuprofen for my headache 2 hours apart in the evening. I will probably never know, but I am pretty much back to normal now, hopefully it won't happen again.