abwsco

Baby milk

I remember with my eldest because I was having probs breastfeeding & he had to go back in to hospital because of jaundice, the midwife ended up coming to us for about 3 weeks, so if there are any problems they won't abandon her. I'm assuming this is the case everywhere anyway :anxious:

With my first, the midwife came every couple of days for a week or so (I was struggling to BF and got major hormone sobbing too :roll: ) and I also had a wonderful breast feeding counsellor come a few times to help me out. She was a total lifesaver for so many reasons :D Then I was signed over to the health visitor. I had more visits from health professionals than some of my friends though as I'd had difficult birth and was struggling a bit and they knew I had no family or close friends nearby to support me x

R was a nightmare to latch on at first and I was getting sore and fed up, so the lovely midwives hooked me up to the electric cow and I expressed some milk and they had her for the night. The next day I expressed more milk so she could latch on and we didn't look back after that. I had a c section, so was in hospital for 5 days and had a chance to really get the hang of breastfeeding before I came home.

R was a nightmare to latch on at first and I was getting sore and fed up, so the lovely midwives hooked me up to the electric cow and I expressed some milk and they had her for the night. The next day I expressed more milk so she could latch on and we didn't look back after that. I had a c section, so was in hospital for 5 days and had a chance to really get the hang of breastfeeding before I came home.

Oh, how I wish I'd had that help :( Midwives on duty in the day were vile and I only got any help from a lovely midwife at night. In the end I had to give DD bottles so she'd put weight on and I could get home. Spent 10 days in hospital in the end. With 2nd DD I was home the same day!! but didn't even try to BF her due to palava with eldest.

Eldest DD's friend has just had her first baby at the hospital my DD will be at. Would appear she's had no help on the BF front either and her DD is now on bottles.

Oh well, will just have to wait and see how DD gets on.

Just a thought Anne, might it be worth her meeting up with a BF counsellor now, before the birth and while she's still relatively sane and unstressed? It might set her mind at rest and give her confidence knowing that there's someone who will help and visit her in hospital if necessary to get feeding established. Those early days are traditionally when new mums need the support and can give up without it, then regret it later.

Sounds as if that maternity unit needs an overhaul. :?

I wish my friend was nearer; she'd be a real help and she's not at all bossy or confrontational. It's good that your DD at least wants to give breastfeeding a try and I hope that she's not put off by the lack of help - if she can get past the first two weeks when it's not easy, then she'll be fine.

A midwife told me an analogy which really made me laugh, she said 'it' like two virgins getting married, neither of you really knows what you're doing and you both need to learn as you go along' :lol::lol:

My experience is from years ago and having had 3 children. I really wanted to breast feed but the staff were not particularly helpful and probably the lack of encouragement from the HV moved me to feed ES by bottle. I believed I could not produce enough milk and she did nothing to convince me otherwise, which I now know was rubbish. (In the hospital he sucked for so long that feeding became very painful and the electric breast pump did not seem to extract anything :roll: In the end the staff gave him a dummy as he was so 'sucky)'. I had a totally different experience with DD as in hospital prior to the birth I was next to a lady who was expecting her third and had successfully breastfed. She listened to my experience and told me to only let DD feed for a couple of mins each side for the first few days and if sucky to use the dummy (which I had taken in incase). This was the best advice anyone ever gave me and the dummy helped too. I dislike dummies and only used them for a few weeks until everything got settled. I did exactly the same with YS and by this stage ignored advise from nurses many of whom had not had children of their own and were of course passing on whatever was reckoned to be the best practice at the time. In saying that there were several midwives that I remember very fondly for their extreme kindness at certain points during my hospital stays. I hope your daughter is able to breastfeed as it is so handy once it is established :D

Echo what has been said about NCT, but I know it's not cheap, and could be a bit late?

It's only £36 for the year (and £1 if you're on benefits)! Not too late either as the baby isn't even born yet - most women don't go to baby groups until they've got the baby (I did but I was an area rep for 6 years so long before Christopher was born).

The local area rep will know if there's a young parents group, but to be honest pretty much all NCT parents are welcoming - I had a couple of 16 year olds who fitted right in even though the others were old enough to be their parents! Breastfeeding support (counsellors etc. is free and she doesn't actually need to be a member to attend a group, but membership gives you access to everything going on in your area)

Good luck - I found the first couple of weeks the hardest but now breastfeeding is great - and a LOT easier/cheaper than bottle feeding would be.

Thanks again everyone :)

Have just looked at NCT but our local group is a Crawlers and Cruisers. Next town has a Bumps and Babies one though so will tell her about it. Typically though it's another thing on a day when I work. She'd be more likely to go if I could give her a lift and some encouragement to go as although she'll stand up for herself when needed she's quite shy when meeting new people. Plus it's in a coffee shop and she drinks neither coffee or tea-lol

Oh dear! Where are you looking though? You have to be a member to know about the private open houses as they are hosted by parents at their own homes. There may be a facebook page too - they are becoming more popular and just give you a number to call the host.

Oh dear! Where are you looking though? You have to be a member to know about the private open houses as they are hosted by parents at their own homes. There may be a facebook page too - they are becoming more popular and just give you a number to call the host.

Ah, just on the NCT page and details for our local district. Will see if DD wants to look on FB.

Echo what has been said about NCT, but I know it's not cheap, and could be a bit late?

It's only £36 for the year (and £1 if you're on benefits)! Not too late either as the baby isn't even born yet - most women don't go to baby groups until they've got the baby (I did but I was an area rep for 6 years so long before Christopher was born).

Sorry - I was referring to the NCT antenatal classes, rather than "just" the membership. :oops: Sorry for being misleading!

Really hope your daughter and baby Lauren find some good support, another good forum is Baby Centre. I've found some good advice on there, and they have a dedicated Breast Feeding forum.

No we didn't do the antenatal classes - partly for that reason!

Check your local childrens centre for breastfeeding support, or I have the number for the lactation consultant who came out to me if you want it - she's very reasonable and worth the money!

My son wasn't too interested in latching on initially so a brilliant junior doctor (the only doctor/member of staff who took notice of me in the hospital) got me to express the tiny amounts of colostrum and collect it in a syringe. Did the trick to get him interested. :D

Hope your daughter and Lauren are doing well xxxx

My son wasn't too interested in latching on initially so a brilliant junior doctor (the only doctor/member of staff who took notice of me in the hospital) got me to express the tiny amounts of colostrum and collect it in a syringe. Did the trick to get him interested. :D

Hope your daughter and Lauren are doing well xxxx

Ah, thanks Looney :) That's what one of the midwifes is trying with Lauren. Really don't seem to be able to fault the support from what DD has said but she's in for another night as Lauren doens't seem to have sussed it out yet. Both are doing well so far and DD still seems keen to try which is brilliant.

Has she got lots of milk, as in the baby is trying to latch onto a taut football? I had this, and very rapidly was shown to express off a little bit down the sink, and then try to latch my boy on. Justa thought.

Ooh, midwife did say she'd got loads of milk to her. Will pass that on incase they've not tried that. Thanks Freddie :)

OK, Lauren still won't latch on :( Am going for DD and Lauren soon though :)

DD is going to see if she can get a BF counsellor to come to them tomorrow but in the meantime do I buy a pump so she can express and feed her her own milk via bottles. One midwife had said this was an option. Am going to ask at hospital but thought I'd ask for advice here as well. TIA :)

I wouldn't suggest a pump yet as it can make things worse. The BF counsellor will provide lots of help, some babies take a bit of time to get going and the drugs in labour can take a few days to work their way out of a baby's system which affects feeding.

If you DO need to get her a pump later (hand expressing is better just now) I recommend the ISIS hand pump (Avent) it's brilliant - and on offer for £18 ish at the moment!

Good for your daughter for persevering, the first two weeks were rough for us but now it's brilliant x