NannyOgg

I'm a chicken Granny - CHICK PICS!!!!

I have ordered some hatching eggs for my broody Pekin Sprinkle :shock::D8)

They are sex linked so I can tell straight away how many boys and girls...only problem is trying to find a willing home for any boys. Although I have discussed with hubby and DD's the option of separating the boys and raising them for the table...no names, not pets, just well looked after and then a quick painless end before anyone has reason to complain to the council. The kids were more open to that idea than hubby :shock:

Has anybody here dispatched chooks for the table? It wouldn't be my first choice, but if I am unable to find a home for any boys, not sure what my other options would be :?

Aside from this problem, I am super excited about hatching some chicks :D

Edited by Guest

I have the same problem with my hubby.

Won't eat something he has talked to.

I have loads of conversations about it, and press the point that he will eat plastic wrapped stuff from the supermarket that has likely had a torrid time, at least he can give a good life to his dinner.

But havent won the argument yet,

no hatching eggs for me :(

I raise the boys for the table I decided that was the only option if I was going to hatch so I went on the dispatch and dress course that Cotswold poultry run

the process of the 'deed' isn't that hard it's the decission that it's the time to do the 'deed' that is the hard part which in my mind shouldn't be easy any way

Thanks for your replies :D

The first lot of eggs arrived yesterday (I also accidentally ordered some Poland eggs :lol::oops::dance: which should arrive after Easter). They have been resting since yesterday afternoon, and will move in with Sprinke tomorrow morning :D

th_4f7b4e3e.jpg

My boys from last year went to the local butcher, who was happy to do the deed and prepare them for me for just £3 per bird. It is something I feel I should learn to do myself, but while he is only going to charge £3 I'll stick with him.

Nicola

Two days after the hybrid eggs went under sprinkle I also gave her some Poland eggs as none of the others had gone broody (awkward things, usually if you so much as blink they go broody, this time a week of dummy eggs and not a chance!), after initial candling she was left with 8: 5 Poland and 3 hybrid. Today is day 23 for hybrid and day 21 for Poland...and this afternoon we heard cheeping from the eggs :dance: hoping tomorrow we get a chick or two!!! :pray:

Wooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooo ... Came downstairs this morning to find Sprinkle is a mummy hen to two more chicks, both Polands (the hybrids are a no go now as day 25 for them :( )

In the foreground is yesterday's hatch, Lilly, in the middle is Smarties and at the back is (possibly, undecided as yet!) Puffball

f9191498.jpg

And a very short video :D :

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/smtinak/95c50103.mp4

Awww bless them. What a clever girl Sprinkle! How long will it be before you know if they crow or not? :?

My boys from last year went to the local butcher, who was happy to do the deed and prepare them for me for just £3 per bird. It is something I feel I should learn to do myself, but while he is only going to charge £3 I'll stick with him.

Nicola

Now that's a good idea. I could cope with that :wink: