Duncan08

Postage and Packing

I spent about an hour yesterday putting together a chicken order to give them a good clean out going into summer, (thats a laugh isn't it!) Checked various sites, but it is a pain to find one that does everything. Anyway found one that did most things and added them all to the basket.

A nice little order, came to about £75.

Then I went to pay, a whopping £33 added for P&P, needless to say, I cancelled it.

I was after,

A red top fly trap

Hardwood chippings for the outdoor run

Auboise for inside the cube

Easibed for the WIR

Net-tex ground sanitiser

Diatom

Layers Pellets

So anyone recommend any websites that sell all/most of these things that don't charge the earth to get them to you?

Because of the way some web sites automatically calculate postage per item it can be worth ringing the company direct to see if they can offer a cheaper delivery. I have found a couple of times that the delivery cost offered over the phone is a lot less than online.

Worth a try :D .

A lot of companies have a contract for shipping with their courier company that has a weight limit on it. A couple of bales of bedding, or large sacks of layers pellets and the company will go over their weight limit. Unfortunately, this is the cost of shipping nowadays - I know from experience. Some companies can subsidise the shipping but often their margins are so tight that if they subsidised it, they would be losing money on the order. I suspect that the company involved are not making any profit, and probably a loss, on shipping goods that heavy.

Phoning them up to see if they can do something about the shipping might be an idea. They may, for example, be able to ship cheaper if you split your order into smaller loads that came under the weight limit for their courier, thereby avoiding the penal rate they charge for heavier goods.

Shipping costs have rocketed recently thanks to huge rises in fuel prices. It is only going to get worse.

4 of them are quite heavy/bulky items so its understandable it will be high but that seems far too much!

Can you not use Aubiose for the Cube and WIR - maybe not best for and uncovered outdoor run though.

I know Cotswold Chickens can send out 2 bales (20kg each) of Aubiose and two 20kg bags of layers pellets for £7.55 P&P, if that helps :D

Thanks everyone,

At the weekend I am going to try a farm not far from us where I got the Easibed from last time.

I don't think they do the Hardwood chippings for out doors though, and the Easibed wouldn't work outside, although it would be OK in the nest box with a bit of straw, which would save getting the auboise.

They are primarly a horse supplier that does some chicken bits so they may have the red top, which was brilliant last year.

They also do the layers pellets, which leaves the Net-tex / Diatom and the Wood chippings. They may be able to recommend somewhere though.

We do have a pets at home, but their range is limited.

I work in commercial freight and international forwarding so understand the increasing fuel costs - and you are so right it s only going to get worse. I suppose we just get so used to free delivery on domestic items, I just thought that was a bit steep.

Thanks Again for your replies.

I am on the Wirral, right in between Liverpool, Chester and North Wales, and the Irish Sea :D

Have you used Larton Livery? I don't know if they stock Aubiose, but they do stock Hemcore, which is hemp like Aubiose but also has citronella in it. It's co"Ooops, word censored!"r than Aubiose. BUt in the summer, I prefer it because of the citronella - it helps keep the flies down.

A Thank You to Everyone for their help.

I went back to the farm where I got the easibed from last time.

I got the easichick rather than the Horse, which has gone in the run, with a bale saved for the nest box.

Managed to get the other items on my list, plus a hanging drinker and a bottle of lifeguard.

The didn't have the wood chipping, but I went home and cleared out the old run bedding, gave it a good going over with the nettex ground sanitiser and went to the farm 2 minutes away for a bale of straw.

Hey presto - they do wood chippings :clap:

Havent got any in at the mo, but have ordered 5 bags for the outdoor run for when it comes in.

Dug out the outdoor run with a load of ground sanitiser, so hopefully they will get back to me with the woodchip before the girls trash it all again :pray: