The Dogmother

Knit a blanket for a rescue dog

Right, you talked me into it.

I havent knitted anything for about 20 years, so dug out some of my mums wool, (hope she didn''t need it she is on holiday :oops: - but she isn't supposed to knit anymore, dodgy shoulders).

Finished my first square :clap: total mind blank when it came to casting off :roll:

Thank god for You Tube - it is a wonderful thing........

Unfortunately the wool I found is a sort of creamy flecked colour, not so good for muddy dogs, but the principal being that it is a comfort blanket for the dog to take to his new home it should still do the trick.

Might finish it by christmas. :lol:

Well I havent been on the forum all weekend as I have been busy knitting, in my sitting down time, which is when i normally go online

After watching you tube to remind me how to cast off I have tried to do at least 1 square a night, Saturday night I did about 3.

Fingers are aching mind, must have very unfit fingers :lol:

So altogether I have finished 10 squares, only 15 to go. Not sure that I am getting any quicker, and there are a couple of mistakes on the paw prints, but I am sure the recipient won't mind :roll:

Thank You :D

I have been enjoying it more than I thought. Not being very patient with these sorts of things, but it is quite relaxing once you stop trying to set yourself targets.

I also think it should be promoted as a slimming aid. Ordinarily I get very bored watching TV, so tend to make various trips to the kitchen for cups of tea, glasses of wine, biscuits, toast, cheese chunks, slices of ham, I think you get the idea. Well whilst both hands are tied up - no picking :P It takes twice as long to drink a glass of wine and I must have lost about 3 cups of tea. Hubby made me some supper on Friday night, just toast with chunks of cheese and pickled onions, must have taken me about an hour to get through it :clap:

I also think it should be promoted as a slimming aid. Ordinarily I get very bored watching TV, so tend to make various trips to the kitchen for cups of tea, glasses of wine, biscuits, toast, cheese chunks, slices of ham, I think you get the idea. Well whilst both hands are tied up - no picking :P It takes twice as long to drink a glass of wine and I must have lost about 3 cups of tea. Hubby made me some supper on Friday night, just toast with chunks of cheese and pickled onions, must have taken me about an hour to get through it :clap:

I can apprecaite this too :D I drink far less wine whilst I knit, and don't snack either :dance:

Dogmother - a confession - I will be making these blankets, however, I am going to make them for our local charity and not Battersea dogs home :oops: I have become quite involved with my local rescue since we adopted Harry and Sabrina, and they are crying out for blankets. I suppose at least they are going to a worthy cause :wink:

That's great Debs, any dog rescue charity will do TBH; it's the sentiment that counts.

Just as an aside; if any of you have time on your hands and would like a companion for a walk, rescues are crying out for dog walkers at the moment, and also 'weekend boarders' where you offer a dog the comforts of a family home for the weekend. They need fosters too, so if you have the inclination to bring on and train a dog while it is waiting for its forever home....

I've printed off the pattern and am going to have a knitting weekend while my OH and daughter and doggie are away sailing. I'm dog-sitting for friends, though, so I can always ask him what he thinks of my squares so far!

I'll probably donate to a local dog charity, too, but might still do one for Battersea.

i'VE FINISHED :clap:

its only taken me a month!

What makes it even more embarrassing, is my Mum has done one in four days and knitted a cardigan for my Aunt inbetween :oops:

I am quite pleased that I managed to finish it though, but dont think I will be starting another - cant even really say I was getting any quicker by the end!

Thought I might teach myself some crochet next, apparently it grows quicker so might not be so tedious. Found a Pattons magazine from the 60's in my mums old knitting patterns so had a little go last night. Double crochet stitches look OK but I am doing something wrong at the ends cos it is turning into a triangle :?

Double crochet stitches look OK but I am doing something wrong at the ends cos it is turning into a triangle :?

If you are losing stitches perhaps you haven't identified and worked into the last stitch of the previous row? Try adding a paperclip to the last stitch so that you can find it when you get back to it. :D

How to count stitches

Paperclip stitch markers

P