The Dogmother

Toddler unfazed by hungry lioness

About 30 years ago, I was on safari with my family in Kenya. We were in Amboseli park, where the animals saw a few tourists but not many in the bush. We came across a family group of lions resting in the afternoon sun about 100 metres away from us. They were very restful. Then my Dad's sunhat blue off....the driver of our van opened his door to retrieve the hat. That lion moved so quickly, but not as quick as our driver. Anything out of the bus was fair game to th lion. Yum yum, but not this time fortunately!

I have to say that I found this quite disturbing. I am not mad keen on zoos anyway and just felt really sorry for the lioness!
Same here.

Me, too! Poor thing just wanted a nice, fresh snack instead of Purina lion chow or whatever they feed them!

Have just seen this on the beeb's website.

The poor woman was lucky to get away with the injuries she did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17967219

It just makes me feel so sad for all these wild creatures in captivity of any kind. :(

:roll::roll: What do they expect, these are wild animals and they will pick up on any subtle nuance in behaviour or nervousness because that's how they survive. Apart from humans (sometimes) these animals are at the top of the food chain because they are such efficient killers; their natural instincts and skills need to be respected.

Have just read this about the cheetah too. What makes me angry is the zoo or whatever in South Africa seem to be defending the cheetah. At the end of the day, they are animals and their primary function is to survive with their survival instincts which are killing. They are not tame as the zoo states and never will be. To put the general public in such an enclosure seems absurd to me, especially with no safety measures.

I could not have trusted the glass and I agree, zoos leave me feeling sad. But, and it's a big but, the creatures are much loved by their keepers and zoos are legally obliged to carry out conservation and to educate the general public about the animals they keep. They seem to do this with so much vigour and enjoyment that I don't like to completely condemn them.

I could not have trusted the glass and I agree, zoos leave me feeling sad. But, and it's a big but, the creatures are much loved by their keepers and zoos are legally obliged to carry out conservation and to educate the general public about the animals they keep. They seem to do this with so much vigour and enjoyment that I don't like to completely condemn them.

I do agree with you and am aware that zoos do a lot of great conservation work. However, for me, the original clip typifies the negative side of zoos.