Egghead68

Possible impacted gizzard

Help please!

My 5 year-old pekin crowed like a cockerel this morning and has spent the rest of the day sitting in the broody position, although not in the egg box. Her bottom is pulsating vigorously

She last laid 2 days ago (Saturday) and is eating normally. She seemed very fit and well till this morning. She has been wormed recently and eats layers' mash grit and greens.

Could she have an ovarian tumour? Be egg-bound? Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Oh what a worry!!! I've not heard of an impacted gizzard before, but lost my lavender pekin to an impacted crop :( She was just 1 yr old and had been laying for a short while. My vet tired all she thought reasonable but in the end she had to be PTS. The vet thought it my have been a problem particuliar to her as she was eating and had been pooing but couldn't get enough nutition through once laying :(:(

Hope your girlie is ok!!! If you have a chicken friendly vet, together all you can do is your best :)

If she had an impacted gizzard, I'm surprised that she was eating well, as described in the opening post, as food would 'back up' . Perhaps it was a partial obstruction that has shifted. They eat all sorts of things that they shouldn't, like cable ties and bits of string. Maybe she has picked up something like that. I hope there is some improvement today.

Thanks everybody. I am pleased to say that she has passed a huge and smelly poo after 2 doses of mineral oil (sorry for tmi). I can feel there is more to come. Less good news is that the stress seems to be bringing on a bout of mycoplasma but at least I know what I'm dealing with with that.

Egluntyne - I agree. She was eating voraciously even on the way to the vet's. The vet she saw is going to email the X-ray to my normal avian vet (currently helping out at the olympics) to try to clarify the diagnosis.

For anyone who needs to know the treatment for blocked gizzard according to the vet is:

(a) isolate and keep in a warm darkened room (not sure why)

(b) 2.5ml mineral oil per kg twice a day dripped slowly into beak

© starve - only allow drinking water

Thanks for the link!!!! Really informative! Well that's something else I've learned :lol::D

But sorry that she might have a growth :(:( When will you know??

A pat on the back for getting her this far!!!!! :) Let's hope for a good result!!!!! I've just been on a human similair experience, had a lump removed and just got my results back today and it's all ok...Phew!!!

An impacted gizzard is pretty uncommon and is usually caused by one of two things.... eating a foreign object or a tumour either blocking the gizzard or further down the digestive tract.

The vet has suggested keeping her in the dark/warm to keep her calm and to lessen the chance of shock, which can kill a bird. The usual treatment is to flush the system by withdrawing food for 48 hours and giving water containing a good poultry tonic such as Life-Guard, this will usually clear the system and flush out any foreign objects. Any sort of oil will also help ease the passage of any debris.

Typically, if the bird doesn't respond to this treatment then it can mean a blockage/tumour either in the gizzard or further down. If this is the case then it's usually kinder to PTS I'm afraid.

I hope that she improves and hets rid of whatever is blocking her up, the fact that she is pooing is positive.

Update: She has passed an awful lot of very hard poo, is eating nonstop to make up for lost time and has perked up nicely (although she now has early myco from stress of vet visit etc. for which she is on antibiotics). She is back outside with the others and being bossy as usual.

However - the vet had a another feel and says there is still a lump there, although it is much smaller, which may be residual blockage or may indeed be a tumour :(

She is still on a half dose of mineral oil and I am to keep an eye out for signs of a tumour (poor appetite and weight loss).

Fingers crossed...

Thanks!! So glad to hear she's picking up!!! I guess you'll just have to wait and see how she goes. You sound to have a great vet.....lucky you(and your little pekin!!) :D

Please let us know how she goes.

Wishing her a speedy recovery!!!

She recovered nicely in August and has been fine until this week when sadly the problem seems to have recurred. I do just wonder whether it is related to coming into lay as she seems to be on the verge of this.

She has been put on a horrible cocktail of noroclav and metacam injections plus something called vomed to try to move things along in her gut, as well as mineral oil and fluconazole.

Unfortunately she seems completely back up with not even water emptying from her crop.

My plan is to give the treatment (plus starvation) 48 hours to work and then pts if no improvement. Here's hoping...