Goosey Lucy

Catflap

We have just moved into our new home and have a door with a catflap installed. The catflap recognises a tag on the cat's collar to allow the cat to come and go.

However my cats regularly lose their collars :evil:

I'm thinking of replacing it with one of these.

Before I go and spend silly amounts of money, does anyone have any experiences of these?

Thanks,

Lucy x

We've looked at these in the past as nextdoor-but-one's tom cat comes in and sprays. We didn't get one because it doesn't support all makes of microchip and the ones in our cats (fitted 1998) are apparently too old and weren't recognised (although they still work fine as chips). We could have got new chips fitted but our cats are nearly 15 and don't go out all that much these days so we decided to stick with the manual cat flap we have now and open and close it on request. It's a hassle but works OK.

I have a friend who has one though and she loves it so we will probably get one when our 2 cats have passed on.

I've got a petporte model and love it. I went for it as my cats were also losing their collars all the time and the magnets are not cheap to replace!

I have found that microchips can move and Nala's is now round the side of her neck not at the back so it's not read as easily. She has learnt to listen for the beep and moves her head until it goes off then she knows she can get though :lol: She's as clever kitty :clap:

That's one clever cat!

We let our cats out for the first time today, I kept the flap permanently open just so they could get the hang of going in and out. My OH isn't convinced that we need a microchip one so I've now got to investigate how expensive the collar tags are.

I haven't checked if our microchips are compatible but as they were only put in 15 months ago I don't think it will be an issue for us.

We have one and are happy with it. We had issues with other cat flaps, especially the magnet ones, and collars being lost and all that, and needed a flap that only lets one of our cats in, as one of our cats doesn't like the other cats and lives in different rooms from the rest of the feline family. We've had this one for about two years now and have had absolutely no problems with it.

Good luck!

We got one about six months ago an its a must for us.

We have local cats that were coming in and urinating in the house and upsetting my two cats. Our little feral cat also never keeps a coller on so the magnetic one wasn't an option.

It has worked very well an we haven't had another cat in the house at all. Our two cats use it very well.

The only problem I can see is if you have a very big cat they only come in one size so they might not fit. Our Archie cat is about as big as can fit so we need to make sure he doesn't get fatter :shock:

They are worth the money! :D

Thank you to everyone for posting your thoughts. OH is coming round to the idea of a new catflap. A new collar and magnetic disc for the current catflap will cost about £10. At the rate that ours lose their collars the new catflap would pay for itself within a couple of months :shock:

Anyway I've agreed to try the current catflap and we'll see how long we have two cats and collars... I give it 2 weeks before I'm ordering the new catflap :lol:

I have a Pet Porte cat flap and love it. My older boys got used to it quite quickly and didn't seem bothered by the beep. The girls also got used to it quite quickly. The slight delay doesn't seem to have ever bothered them.

I'd had problems with harassing toms in the area Which is why I went for it.

I have to say that it's the only mechanism which has put up resistance to my big boys, they were able to jailbreak the others when they were locked, whereas this one has survived all attempts to open!