Luvachicken

Blood recipients and organ donation

I was lucky enough to have a blood transfusion which saved my life almost 17 years ago, but since then I have never been allowed to give blood, which I did used to do.

I was thinking recently about organ donation. Are people that have had a blood transfusion allowed to donate organs ?

Won't my organs be full of the blood that I can't donate ? How does it work ?

I feel sad that I can't donate blood.

Are people that have had a blood transfusion allowed to donate organs ?

Won't my organs be full of the blood that I can't donate ? How does it work ?

Yes they can donate their organs (in most cases). I think this is because blood types and tissue types are different.

I have given blood 24 ish times and encourage (nag, according to my OH :roll: ) anyone and everyone to try and donate blood if they can/are allowed to. I was totally gutted when I went recently and my iron count was so low they've banned me for a year! I know a fair few people that have needed transfusions to save their lives and this is why it is so important to me. Oh well, a year will pass by soon enough...in the meantime I'll continue to nag OH :wink::lol:

That's interesting to know about blood types / tissue types. I'd never really thought about it before.

This is a great time of year to remind people about it, as blood donations often fall off around Christmas. My mum was a blood donor for years, and encouraged all of us to become donors. During her last illness in hospital she received a transfusion which made a world of difference to how she felt (and looked). I was already a donor, but have tried to keep it up because I know how important it is.

This is a great time of year to remind people about it, as blood donations often fall off around Christmas.

My son's next donation day in the village is Christmas Eve - we were surprised that they were working but it's good that it's so close to Christmas.

Is there an age limit for donating? - I used to give blood but stopped 10 years ago when I had my knee injury and have had mobility problems ever since. The mobile service didn't come to the village then but it would be easier for me to go now they do and I'd like to get back to it.

I'll check out that link someone posted...

I've had no luck when it comes to giving my blood away.

At first, they wouldn't allow me due to my Medication, then when my medication was taken off the banned list they brought forward the time limit on having received a blood transfusion from 1987 to 1980.... I had a transfusion in June 1980 aged 6! :roll:

I really would love to give. My FIL is needing regular transfusions due to health issues and I feel hopeless that I can't help his cause. OH donates though... Jammy so and so :wink:

I can't give blood as i have Thrombophilia so i wonder if my organs would be rejects too!

I don't think so K; a colleague has the same condition and can't donate. Apparently I'm under the 8 stone lower weight limit :roll: I checked and had my blood group checked too as ABneg runs in my family and is a sought after group for transfusions. I'm O+ though... dead common!

I'm O neg so anyone can have my blood (well, in a year's time they can!). I can only have O neg back though.

I think what frustrates me is that everyone would expect there to be blood available if they or a family member should need it yet there are so many people that have never even considered giving blood. It is one of the few things that people can do, for free, that will truly help others. I'm not having a go at people that can't donate for whatever reason (and I include people with needle phobia in that statement) but I think that everyone that can should at least try and donate.

Righto, off my soap box and back to work...!! :oops::lol:

I went to give blood with a friend last year and couldn't as had been to Mexico and may have had Malaria over there :roll:

So 4 of us went back a few weeks ago and all donated :D

Was good and would definitely do it again - have to wait 12 weeks but my brother wants to donate at Christmas.

Not sure why the wait is so long, will have to see as the England scheme is separate to the Welsh.

I think what frustrates me is that everyone would expect there to be blood available if they or a family member should need it yet there are so many people that have never even considered giving blood.

That made me smile - I am a 50-something, not very fit, slightly overweight female but I work in an office surrounded by fit and healthy young men (under 35 mostly) who spend their lunch hours in the gym. I once offered to buy a pint for anyone who'd accompany me to the blood donor session ... let's just say that my money was safe. :lol: