auntielizzie

Australorps

Do Australorps count as pure breeds or hybrids? I am hoping to get a couple of pure breeds at some point as I believe they have less health problems and live longer than hybrids, and I really like the look of the Australorps. Sorry if stupid question, but any advice on good egg laying, well behaved and beautiful big girls appreciated! Thanks.

They are lovely birds. I was lucky enough to be at an aussie poultry show in November and I saw some very handsome girls and boys 8) If I couldn't keep orps, I'd probably go for australorps. The comb/eye/head/neck/legs are the same, but an australorp's body has a lot less underfluff and skirt. Because they don't have to put so much into growing feathers they put it into growing eggs instead :D

I'm a massive fan of Australorps since we got our Bantam - Sheila.

Really beautiful black feathers with a petrol green hue, very friendly, and a great layer. Less prone to broodiness and and a better layer than our Choc Orp - McGraw. We'll definitely consider getting more in the future.

We chanced upon them when I saw some for sale from a lovely old chap breeding them in Buckingham.