ubereglu

Milk based drinks-ideas please

Well, I finally got seen by a dietitian last week and was given an action plan of things I need to do to put on weight. One of the main things is to drink a pint of fortified milk everyday (1 pint of whole milk mixed with 4 tablespoons of milk powder). Fortunately I am allowed to do it in hot chocolate form, which makes it just about bearable, but it's hard going. I have opted to buying organic milk, which, yes might cost more, but definitely tastes a lot better, which is the main thing. Fortunately it is at least on offer everywhere at 8 pints for £3.

So, besides from hot chocolate can you suggest anything else? I don't really like strawberry or banana milkshakes. Does anyone know of anywhere which sells vanilla milkshake powder or orange flavoured drinking chocolate, which isn't instant?

Do you like Horlicks? (I love the stuff, had to stop buying it as I like to eat the powder with a spoon straight out of the jar! :oops: )

I really like hot milk with a dash of sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Or nutmeg.

Could you heat up milk with a vanilla pod - would that work?! [edited to add that the only way I know to make vanilla milkshake is with milk and vanilla ice cream]

Hot milk isn't everyone's idea of a yummy drink, it used to make my housemate gag at the thought of it!

It doesn't have to be hot drink. I might give horlicks a whirl, as it seems to be on special in quite a few places at the minute. Think I'll give the cinnamon a miss though, as that's a spice I really can't stand. Might try the vanilla pod idea though-or just find the vanilla extract and some sugar. :think:

We've been drinking cocoa recently (how old are we :roll: ) with a bit of sugar or honey to sweeten. Its not like hot choc, and not everybody likes it but it might be something to try. We are very lucky here and can buy milk from a herd of ayrshires and guernseys, direct from a farm. The milk is very good, but the cream is out of this world. Is cream any good for you, I'm a bit hazy on whether it still has lots of calcium and vitamins.

Would you eat cereal with milk on? Porridge?

Cheese sauces - lasagne, over pasta with broccoli, cauli cheese, pasta bakes etc - you'd get a double whammy of fats and proteins.

Mashed up ripe bananas with top of the milk.

Smoothies.

I was going to suggest Whittards too

What about getting flavoured syrups usually used for coffee's and adding them to milk? Costa and Starbucks sell gift sets of 5/6 bottles so you could see which ones you like then buy bigger bottles online for cheaper. If you're at the Bullring, Selfridges had some in the food hall on the bottom floor.

I'm sure Crusha make a Vanilla syrup to add to milk which you can buy in Supermarkets! :)

Definitely a retro suggestion and not everyone's cup of tea but what about making Angel Delight? There's a choice of flavours and the toffee one can go as topping on bananas or pretend you're at a 5 year olds birthday party and put sprinkles on top!

My gran needed to boost her calcium intake but was fed up of milk and this is what the dietician recommended to her!