CharLeila

Gingernut Ranger life expectancy?

Hi all,

I first got my girls in December '09 and still have my Gingernut Ranger. she is the only one left from the original flock and still going strong; producing the largest eggs of all my 5 girls.

How long are they supposed to live for?

Also, just out of interest, who has/had the oldest hen? Mine is obviously Gingernut who is 3 1/2.

Thanks

GNR Doris, a Calder ranger, I got in April 2006 - she no longer lays eggs, she has trouble getting up and down steps, and waddles more then ever but she is still the matron of the 10 girls and takes no messing from the other girls. When it is time to go to bed, she lets me know and like a fool, I go out and lift her up into the (cube green) .

Although I have lost a few girls over the past seven years due to illness, I must be doing something right to have had Doris the past 7 years. :D

I'm in Australia at the moment (Melbourne) and I've been reading about chickens aged 16,17 and even 20! They are ISA Browns in the two articles I've just read. I don't know if it's a tall story, or if they really do live longer in warm climes like this, but the longest lived chickens I've heard about in the UK are around 7-8.

One of my ex-batts was 5 and a half when sadly she was killed by a fox :( in our only ever fox attack - actually she survived the attack but had to be PTS as her injuries were not survivable. Even the vet was distraught that a bird who had overcome her hard start to life had died in such a way - she was laying right up to the end - goodness knows what age she would have been had she survived!

My eldest is Anna, who is a Buff Orpington (pure breed). She and her sister joined our flock on 15th November 2008 at 7 months old (hatched 22nd April 2008). Sadly her sister had to be PTS after developing a prolapse in late 2009, but Anna is still going strong and is 'top chook' in my flock.

This is Anna soon after I got her in 2008

IMG_1705a.jpg

Andrew