Chicken deficient

Calling all Pekin fans

Am confused by the 2 member accounts for you Andrew :roll:

I set all 12 of the eggs you gave me, 6 were clear early on so I continued with the remaining 6...5 are now shouting their little heads off in the brooder, and the last one was discarded last night...am trying to remember how to send pics to photo bucket....

Am confused by the 2 member accounts for you Andrew :roll:

I've decided to swap to "Andrew" from "atsw", as it seemed a more personal ID :wink:. The trouble is I'm logged into Omlet on so many different devices, either at home or at work, and if I don't check the login ID on the phone/tablet/laptop/pc I'm using to check the forum at the time, I end up getting myself a bit mixed up :lol:.

I set all 12 of the eggs you gave me, 6 were clear early on so I continued with the remaining 6...5 are now shouting their little heads off in the brooder, and the last one was discarded last night...am trying to remember how to send pics to photo bucket....

That's what I assumed. Even allowing for the clear eggs, that's still nearly 50/50, which is pretty good. I'll PM you my forum e-mail address, I can post the pics if that's easier for you.

Andrew

image.jpg

Here we are 5 little balls of fluff....2 black, 2 stripe, and one little patchwork bubba...hard to believe they are all from the same breed of parents :lol: ...we will see what they grow into...

Thank you again Andrew xx

Aaagggghhhh huge! Sorry...please feel free to alter mods...PB has befuddled me again! Xx

Aahh, they are very sweet, and just like Licquorish and his brothers and sisters looked when they were hatchlings. Here's the picture cropped and re-sized.

PekinChicks480x360_zpse71b7cc6.jpg

By way of a comparision, here's Licquorish and his brothers/sisters when they were a few days old back in 2009 (he's the black one!).

IMG_2156a.jpg

Andrew

Licquorish was the only frizzle in his hatch. Of his off-spring, we've had about 50/50 frizzle birds, both black (Bertie) and the more normal brown. The frizzle gene becomes quite obvious as soon as feathers start to appear on their wings. It will be fun and interesting to see how your's develop 8) .

Andrew

Those little babies, Chook n Boo Mum, are just the cutest things. I love the wee one on the right with the white wings.

Andrew - if you PM Christian, nicely, I think you can have your user name 'atsw' changed to 'Andrew' permanently and you still get to keep your Omlet ranking. I did it when I changed from being Chubby Chook to Shabby Chic

Oh they are gorgeous. Im totally addicted to Pekins. At the moment (note I said at the moment) I have Princess (Lavender), lil Miss Riding Hood yep youve guessed it Red, Miss "Ooops, word censored!" ablack mottled and yes she is the dominant hen and can be mean to the others,3 ten week old Gold Partridge which are so so friendly and yet to be named by my grandaughter, In the brooder there are 2 Salmon anda chocolate mottled. hatched yesterday. I also have two frizzle sablepoots which were a gift Tweedledee and tweedle dumdee. And in the incubator some Lavenders and some more Frizzles.

I did have a gorgeous Lemon Cuckoo Cockerel but he is being rehomed due to him crowing a lot more during the day. I also have four beautiful Lavender Pekin boys at 10 weeks that wil also have to be rehomed.(But I am trying t twist a friends arm about having him and some lavender girls on his allottment .

I think I have the Pekin addicion they are so pretty and friendly and their eggs are the cutest thing ever. Great for lil kids

You lot have a lot to answer for.... I'm now thinking a lavender Pekin would make a wonderful addition to my girls..... Love the lavender colour.... Plus a maran who actually lays, really wanted dark eggs... And I have a broody (who is broody approx every 4 weeks)..... Never really obsessed about breeds til this post! Lol

Chook n Boo Mum's Pekin chicks are a week old and already it's pretty clear she has three frizzle chicks (1 black, 1 brown, 1 patchwork) and two flat feathered chicks. :clap:. Below is a copy of the picture she sent me earlier today. You can clearly see the turned-out wing tips on the three Frizzle chicks.

PekinChicks3600x450_zps79e800ff.jpg

Andrew

I'm having a dilemma - I had to say no to the Buff Columbians as my neighbour's flock was ill, but they've been returned and mine all seem fine.

So, I thought I'd get some hatching eggs, but no-one is broody! I've only had one broody Pekin this year! What is going on?!

Anyway, do I keep waiting for a broody and then hatch, or do I get a few of the 3 week old Pekins I've located, or do I look for some growers that have been sexed? My head is swimming with Pekins and I can't think straight!

In in absence of anyone volunteering to sit on eggs, I've been looking into getting some Pekin pullets, but I'm quite shocked by the prices! What is the going rate these days?

In the past I've always tried to find chickens from people that treat them like part of the family and they have cost less than half of what I've found so far!

A really good Pekin breeder will be able to sex Pekins at three to four weeks - even I can tell them at four weeks usually and your average joe can tell by six weeks, obviously the younger they are the cheaper they will be

A Pekin from around the 14 week mark should be around £15 but the more exotic colours like Millefleur or frizzled ones which are so popular can be up to £25

Advanced warning of possible impending cuteness...

This is Myrtle:

9153822430_23ddddcaf3.jpg

This is what she is sitting on:

9151598397_9b45010210.jpg

I went to collect 6 Pekin hatching eggs and the lovely lady gave me 19! Myrtle decided that 8 was a nice number to sit on.

The eggs were from Silver Partridge, Salmon, Blue, Black, Isabella, Chocolate Mottled and Millefleur.

If someone else goes broody in the next few days, I'll let her sit on some of the remaining eggs.

I have thought about getting a little incubator for the rest of the eggs, but OH seems to think it would be dangerous for me to have one :angel: