The Dogmother

Bad news yesterday...

Care of the elderly in this country really needs to be addressed urgently, we have an ageing population and the situation will only get worse.

We had various issues with my Grandad last year after a series of falls and minor strokes brought on dementia very suddenly. On many occasions we had to deal with dignity and care issues, especially when he was in hospital. If an elderly person has no family to fight for them I dread to think what happens. :(

I hope that your family find a solution to this so that your father gets the break that he deserves, there are so many unsung carer heroes out there.

So sorry and shocked to read your post, I wish I could offer you some decent advice, I have been supporting a friend whose mother is going through the early stages of Alzheimer's and dementia although I think her mother is slowly getting worse as she is now flicking her lit cigarettes on the floor.

I know its a very worrying time and it was only when my friend herself nearly had a breakdown that she got support from her family, and outside organisations including social services. It was terrible to see her being shoved from pillar to post by gp's etc

I hope that you can find a solution the will help you all

Spoke to my father last night; he has spoken to the regulator of these agencies - lengthy call it seems - and they told him that that particular agency had previous traded under a different name and been shut down :shock: why is this allowed to happen?

The inquiry process has been started now and they will probably be closed down again............

At the moment he is managing with the 3 half days/week from the sitters, but has negotiated for more time from them when we return from hols. L_B has kindly done some research and is sending me some information about recommended agencies in that area - thank you so much. 8)

Pm me where your parents are Clare. I dont know of any agencies but will ask around - I am Barnet and I suspect they are Herts from what you have said. I will ask a woman at church who is a private carer how far she travels and I have a friend a trained nurse who does some home nursing but again not sure of distance. keep us posted. Hugs Ali x

OMG that sounds terrible, Im sure the agency staff that sent the carer must be in a state too. The lady sounds as if she needs help asap. Not that it helps you or your parents. Dementia is a cruel but very common part of ageing, the only saving grace is that eventually the sufferer has no comprehension of how they are. If you google dementia uk you can get lots of info Its important that your Moms physical heath is not neglected by health professionals, its very easy to concentrate on mental health issues and forget that older people need blood pressure checks etc. I hope things get better soon

That sounds so awful!!!! It's disgraceful what can happen to our elderly these days.

OH's grandad has Altzeimers and he is getting to the "Can't be left alone stage". The gas was disconnected from his house last week as he switched on the hob and then wandered off for a fag!!! He keeps complaining that the paper shop is always shut, turns out he has been trying to get his morning paper at 2 and 3 in the morning!!

Found very good support up here and OH's mum gets some money now as she cooks all his meals and checks on him a few times a day. He has a place booked in a home for people with dementia, but it's not built yet!

I really hope you get things sorted soon. It's very difficult. Take that agency to the cleaners!!!

Is there any chance of the charity helping with carers so your dad can go away? I know that OH's mum has organised for people to come in 3 times a day when she has a holiday?

Good luck with it all. Xxxxx