Chantelle

keeping pekins?

ive never had bantams but have children and ive totally falllen in love with pekins have just bought a new eglu classic with extension and was hoping to get 4 pekins have just spoke to the breeder and she said their a nightmare and a broody all the time!!! :?:

im affraid im not willing to believe this :notalk: as surely not ALL the time? i know their prone to getting broody but ive also read so many forum posts of such joy and adventures of these beautiful birds can anyone shed any light on their experiences?

im happy to have them as pets if we get an egg or two as well thats just a bonus but i love them already and are due to pick them up in a couple of weeks x any advice is appreciated?

I ahve a small breeding group of Pekins, the females go broody perhaps three times a year each but in my personal experience they are a lot easier to snap out of it than other broody prone breeds. I hook them off the nestbox when I see that one has vanished from the group and after a few days they are back to normal

Just get them you will never regret it they are lovely and are such funny caracters.i got two of them back in September 2012,both girls they turned out to be,Angie started laying eggs in Jan 2012 and went on laying,all togeather about 50 eggs she layd before she went broody,alot of the time she would lay 3 days in a row and a day brake then again 3 or 2 days in a row,i then got her some fertile eggs when she went broody and i got 3 baby chicks out of it they are just beuatiful,and she is the greatest mummy,it just melts your heart to watch them.And now Sheela has gone broody aswell so i am geting more baby chicks,they are due tomorrow :clap:

Get them ,just go get them! (hatch)

Pekins are great! We have 3 lovelies who amuse us with their antics and they haven't, as yet, caused anywhere near as much damage to the garden, as their bigger flockmates! Ours are known as the 'comedy chickens' but they've turned out to be excellent layers as well, giving 5-6 eggs each a week. Dolores is currently broody (and screeching her head off about being locked out of the nest box). I can forgive her the verbal abuse - the sight of her & her sisters hiking up their skirts and running for treats is hysterical - like animated knitted tea cosies hurtling across the lawn :lol:

Lovely and hugely funny to watch, but mine are all terribly broody, I have four and they go broody one after another pretty much every three to four weeks. They started this year in March and I have found usually stop in late Sept/Oct when they stop laying. Mine are shockers, but funny, thank goodness I don't depend on them for eggs. Right now I have two broody Wyandottes and two Pekins just about to go broody, they are wandering around sounding like demented Geiger counters! So I would agree with your breeder in my experience with Pekins, if I were youI would only get two and get a couple of another breed, maybe some Arucanas who lay blue or green eggs???!!!!

Edited by Guest

I'm only very new to chickens - I've had my babies for 3 weeks. They are 11 weeks old, an arucana, a polish and a Pekin. Of the three the Polish is the tamest and friendliest bird, then the Pekin followed by the very nervous Arucana.

Since getting them, I've been told that the Polands are nutters- in fact when we went to buy more hens, 2 breeders refused to sell any to us because we wanted them as pets and have young children. Yet the one we have is adorable. I probably regret getting the Arucana- she just so skittish and unfriendly.

I guess it depends what you are looking for- we want pets, any eggs are a bonus. I'm not bothered by broody hens that refuse to lay. Needless to say we have 3 more Pekins arriving in a fortnight! :dance:

Ooo not quite sure how to post picson here! :(

Right ive got the full clear weather cover sun shade and thermal eglu cover too lol just cos their still only little

Their on growers pellets and treats of corse ! Im wandering round thinking "what can i give them next" :lol:

Do i need to give them any other suppliments at this age their 3 months old? And what age do i powder them with the diotomaceous powder? Should i do it straight away? X

Thanks guys for all your help youve all been ace xx

Congrats!!! ...we need to see proof- please post some piccies! :drool::dance:
eeeee their ace i am pekin mad now!! :dance: