SuburbanChick

Have your chickens had problems with the ladder on the Cube?

I haven't been on the Forum very long but it's such a friendly place :) Chicken lovers are nice people!

Anyway got another question if you can bear with me ...... have your chickens had problems using the steps on the Eglu Cube? I've seen that one Forumer has had to add a ramp for her chickens to access the cube and I wondered if this was something I should be thinking about? I did think that the steps on the Cube looked a bit strange but otherwise the Cube does look like a nice bit of Chicken KIt. Sooo expensive though so I want to get it right.

Yes, our ex bats struggle. Well actually, they can all do it as they go up and lay in the morning but when it comes round to the evening 2 of them (the same 2!) always struggle. I know eventually they make it in but usually I give them a helping hand!

Putting a box at the bottom helped me, once they realised it was a set NOT an obstacle! :roll:

I'd buy a more appropriate ladder if Omlet created one!

I added plastic garden netting to the ladder at first (tip from here) and it worked well, but have a girl with curled outside toes who still struggles. Ended up adding a wooden ramp from FSF - very pleased. Have fitted it using the ladder bolts so no defacing of the cube and we can swap back if we want.

Mr W built our ex-batts a ramp that fits over the Cube ladder as there was a debate over their ability to use the ladder. Our previous chooks had managed the ladder including a Pekin bantam (she did make a real drama out of it though, lots of squeaking and wing flapping). The older chooks retired to the Eglu ( affectionately known as the retirement home) to save them tackling the ladder.

Hi,

I made a wooden ladder that hooks onto the top step and has twice as many steps as the one on the cube. Our old GNR comes all the way down at a gingerly (sorry) pace, whilst the rest jump off the ladder when they are confident. However, all of the girls use the ladder all the way up when going to bed.

I know the ladder on the cube can't reach all the way to the ground (it would catch on the ground when moved) I certainly think that there would be a market to have a ladder extender for use inside a WIR.

I will post a picture of the one I made if I can work out how.

Thank you all for your replies. I wonder why Omlet haven't addressed this problem?

You are right gavclojak it was you who set me thinking :) I think it's good to know what the drawbacks of the Cube are in advance.

Good_egg .... Very interested that you got a ramp from FSF but as I haven't got my cube yet, I don't quite understand how you fixed it?

Bucklamp ..... Look forward to seeing your photo!

I think I just need to get on and order my Cube now and get my chooks otherwise I'll just keep thinking up more questions and before you know it it will be Christmas :lol:

The slightly more yellow piece of wood is the one we had and cut holes in then inserted the bolts from the existing ladder.

9723682683_bc881a9643.jpg

We then screwed the FSF one down into this so we could unbolt to clean, if we wanted to change back etc. so the block screwed into the yellow piece came with the ramp.

9723687679_8653ecc8e9.jpg

I think we also took a little bit off the end of the ramp to make it shorter but that might be due to the amount of woodchip we have!!

Hope that helps, excuse the dust/muck!