Valkyrie

Aggressive neighbour's dog - what to do next?

Well when they first had the dog many moons ago we knew it was agressive. After it ripped out our post ladies inner thigh and charges were not made we set up a chicken wire fence to make sure it didn't get into our garden any more (it had come through before). Obviously chicken wire was handy when we came to get chickens the year after. But it has continued to rush into our front garden - open plan and give cause for concern. Then we have been fortunate as it seemed to have a lull for a few years, although it growls and paces up and down their hedge at us when we are in the garden. This Wednesday it charged across my front garden through the roses that I planted to try and keep it unwelcoming along the side growling and snarling while the owner just gently called it - which it chose to ignore. It was only when I shouted at it to go away that it turned and went back. No apology from the neighbour. I was sort of caught between my car and my house so I wasn't able to dive in away from it. Luckily it stopped 3 or 4 ft away. I then found out that on Tuesday it went for another neighbour and tried to bite his ankles. He used the wheelie bin to dodge around until the owner again simperingly called it back and it went eventually. He is going to have "words" with the husband. I suggested to my OH that we put up a fence to try and stop it from running through the bushes before I found out about Tony's incident!

Today the dog attacked the postman. We don't think that blood was drawn and again it was the ankles he went for. The postman did a lot of shouting and carried on his rounds. I'm guessing that as they had to collect their post from the sorting office when it happened before, then the same may apply. But where does that leave us? The dog is aggressive no doubt about it. I am now carrying my umbrella for protection every time I go out the front door. My neighbour thinks that they should fence in their own property and install gates for our protection. Another neighbour has grandchildren that play outside on their bikes and go cart. Dread to think if anything would happen to them - go cart head height is easy chomping! What can we possibly do to make them realise that this animal should not be allowed to run free - and even if it escapes accidentally we are not safe in our own gardens. ARGHHHHH! Any advice would be appreciated.

They did go to dog training originally (it was a rescue dog - I'm guessing mistreated too). But after we were sitting in our garden talking a couple of years ago and the dog was hurling itself at the hedge snarling at us - they said it was only after the chickens. I said our chickens were entitled to wander round our garden without having their dog chase them (as it happens my chooks ignore the dog and carry on with what they do best - dig over the borders). But it was doing that to my daughter before we had chickens and she was studying on the patio for her exams. I did say that it wasn't just the chickens - it does it to me when I'm gardening too and reminded them that it is an aggressive animal. They are in complete denial as they said no he isn't he's gentle and that no he doesn't growl at me (er hello I wasn't born yesterday - several yesterdays though) so I replied yeah, I saw the blood running down the post lady's leg and she couldn't continue her rounds as she was so badly bitten. In fact she had to have a desk job as she was always in pain afterwards. The post lady liked dogs so refused to press charges. I told them that they should stop being stupid and realise what they had. Then they had a whinge about the chickens making a noise (well we had the chooks 3 years at that time and not once has anyone complained and by then the neighbours the other side also had chickens). I know it is hard to make a decision about an animal you love. But I do feel that the place that rescued the dog must have known it was aggressive and therefore couldn't be introduced back into society.

Perhaps as we live in a cul-de-sac we should all get together and suggest that we are uncomfortable with the way things are and that if they do not take steps to keep the animal under control by fencing in and gating their property we will inform the police about the dangerous dog that is menacing us. Do you think that would work?

Another neighbour has a dog that gets a bit excited when she sees people and bounds across, but she' is totally doolally. A nice animal even if not under total control. She will go back when called (even if he does call her a little too late) and he does apologise. Really she shares too much dribble - bleh! :lol: For the most part she is well behaved and if told to sit she will. I have no problems with her at all.

What an awful situation to be in.

I wonder if the postie who has just been bitten might report it? Doesn't matter that blood wasn't drawn, I think Royal Mail take this kind of think quite seriously (and rightly so).

If the neighbours have an aggressive dog, I can appreciate it's hard for them to be objective about it, but I think the least they could do is get a muzzle there are some (like the ones racing greyhounds wear) which are intended to be worn pretty much the whole time and just taken off when they eat. I realise that's far from ideal for the dog, but things are going to end up turning quite nasty I would think and then it will be even worse for the dog?

I would follow others advice and inform the police - if you have a neighbourhood bobbie/beat officer ask them to come round and hopefully the dog will repeat its behaviour 'on cue'. As others have pointed out, it could go for a child or elderly person next!

Its probably also worth reporting the dog to the local council as causing a nuiscance - we did this with a dog in the house behind us who, quite literally, barked constantly from dawn to dusk. A letter was sent to the owners and we had to keep a log of the noise but, fingers crossed, they took the hint! (I think it was environmental health but the switchboard should know and be able to route you correctly.)

Good luck with this.

I am really surprised the first post lady didn't press charges as the Royal Mail usually takes a very dim view of dog bites. It's quite likely that the postman bitten recently will press charges.

However, I think you should speak either to the police or, at the very least, the dog warden. Given that you've tried to speak directly to the neighbour and nothing has changed with their management of the dog, they may need someone with more clout to ask them to control their dog.

I realise it's not nice to admit that your dog has a problem - the super friendly dog we bought home from rescue 2 years ago turned out to be very unfriendly towards strangers once she'd settled in with us, but it took several months for this behaviour to develop. We now have to be extremely careful with her when we're out walking and in particular in our home and our cul de sac where she can be quite aggressive towards people - it's a fear based behaviour but very scary for people. As such, we never let her out the front of the house off lead when there are people about. Even being rushed and barked at is scary and it's not fair to let her do this to people. We also never let her near the front door when people knock - particularly postmen or parcel delivery people. It's different with our neighbours and friends as they know her foibles and are happy to ignore her until she's calmed down. But I'd never let her get into a situation where a bite could happen as, potentially, if it was reported I could lose my dog. If your neighbours really care about their dog, they do need to admit there is a problem and manage it. One bite too many and they could have their dog destroyed, and I am sure they don't want that.

As an aside - oddly my dog loves children and is totally sappy with them (obviously I'm extremely careful with her) so I do think she views them differently as non-threatening.

Tell the police about it, call them up using 101.

Keeping dogs under proper control.

(1)If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place—

(a)the owner; and

(b)if different, the person for the time being in charge of the dog,is guilty of an offence

(3)If the owner or, if different, the person for the time being in charge of a dog allows it to enter a place which is not a public place but where it is not permitted to be and while it is there—

(a)it injures any person; or

(b)there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will do so, he is guilty of an offence

Section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991

The owner could face 2 years in prison or a £5000 fine or both.

Oh how horrid for you.

Down the road from my daughter is a man with a dog that is aggressive, when races after you as you walk down the road, owner says he is just playing but I don't think so, the neighbourhood is scared of it and last week it raced after DD, baby in buggy and me, we were scared, DD shouted at it and another neighbour came out as she thought it had biten the baby.

DD reported it to the dog warden who said it wasn't the first complaint he had received.

Fred, I think I will suggest DD contacts the police too.

Valkyrie, I don't have any more advice to give, lots of great advice, I hope you can resolve the situation soon.

Chrissie

Thank you for all the info - Fred that was really informative. Will pass all the advice on to my other neighbour as she is going to contact the local sorting office - she tried to on Friday but kept getting sent back to the call centre (and had a very nice chat with the lady on the other end and that they appreciate the support when this sort of thing happens). So we will be conferring tomorrow and making a plan of action.

xxx

They really do need to make their garden secure, and ensure that the dog is under control (as Fed has said) whilst in a public place. I would report this to your local dog warden (via the council) and also to the police using the non-urgent number supplied by Fred.

It is totally out of order that they let it terrorise the neighbourhood and take chunks out of posties. If I could make a suggestion, it would be that the dog is muzzled and on a lead whenever it is outside or in the garden.

Pauline Jackson from Pawsitively Dogs is an excellent and very experienced dog trainer, who will help with dog behavioural issues.

had words with the dog owners in our park - agressive bunch - owners not the dogs. I am scared of dogs and found one under my chair when having coffee with a friend. Nearly fell over it. Frankly I could have injured it with the chair and when I POLITELY asked them to remove it I was accused of being bolshy. The cafe owners have had a lot of complaints. I was chased by a dog as a child and have been warey since. I am ok with one friends dog who is well trained and comes to say hello and then leaves me alone. But I am happy to stroke her. Both my sons have been traumatised by boisterous dogs - the owners are at fault not the dog. Its like naughty children - the parents fault. If all pet owners were like the ones on Omlet world would be a nicer place. I say muzzle the owners (in some cases) as well as the dogs. Hope you get it sorted and soon.

I say muzzle the owners (in some cases) as well as the dogs.

I'd second that. Off at a tangent I know, but did anyone watch Countryfile last night? There was an item on there about dogs worrying livestock. One farmer was saying that he had asked numerous people to keep their dogs on leads around his livestock and had received mouthfuls of abuse for his trouble. It really is so unnecessary and so rude it and ruins dog ownership for the rest of us, when we get tarred with the same brush :twisted: