Alis girls

Cat versus Chickens

Our big kitten/small cat Basil a feline version of Basil fawlty hense the name has been stalking my 4 hens since he was allowed in the garden. They glare at him thro the netting and treat with disdain. Today whilst cleaning out the hen house I heard a rustling and saw him in the FR area (fenced off bit to save rest of garden from being chickened!!) up in one of the bushes. I couldnt get him out as my back was playing up and it would have meant climbing so I am afraid I left him to his fate. He then landed with a plop inches from the 4 girls who glared menacingly at him and he turned tail ran off down the end of their FR area and somehow got out I expect by climbing apple tree and jumping down. Phew. hes a little so and so. I think any cat who thinks they can take on chickens is deluded - en masse they are scarey.

Alfie, our rather fierce ginger cat, was absolutely obsessed by the hens when they first arrived and spent hours circling the run and lying just beyond their wire staring at them.

Within a couple of days he slunk in through the cat-flap looking a bit shame-faced with an ouchy-looking peck on his nose :lol:

Once the girlies started FRing we armed ourselves with a couple of big waterpistols. Over a year on and the cat still seems unable to help himself sometimes and stalks a hen. Just the noise of a 'super soaker' being pumped up makes him run away though, as does their loud squawking when they spot him :D

Who thinks chooks are 'chicken'? Not me!

Interestingly, we know there are foxes locally - when the hens arrived neighbours took to ringing me to say when there was a fox around in their garden, and we hear them and sometimes see them in the road - but we have never seen one in our garden.

We wonder if the cat's pee and poop on his 'territory' are a deterrent? He's a neutered tom, and other cats do pass through, but tend not to linger.....

I am so gald to find this topic. I am getting my hens this week - on Thursday- excited :dance: and I have 3 cats so a little concerned how they will recieve the hens into their garden! Just have to wait and see!

My big ginger tom, Alfie is a softie but Matilda - a tortoiseshell who is his sister and half his size is very brave, chases all the cats out of her garden, even chased a fox away once so wonder how they will be. Tabitha is a grey tabby and at 2 she is a year younger and she always takes a back seat.

Hopefully my hens and the cats will settle in together- fingers crossed :pray:

A young cat appeared today and was watching then stalking my girls from my shed roof. Mean I know but I sat down to watch knowing the girls were in no danger not sure the same could be said for the cat :lol: the minute it made a move onto the roof of there WIR the girls spotted it and immediately set up an alarm call on mass :lol: exit one very nervous cat :lol:

My cat, Vala, is a fierce predator and can take down virtually anything smaller than she is. She has a truce going with the chickens except when I'm out giving them treats. That's when she feels she has to give them a swat to express her displeasure. They are relatively unfazed by it and just take a step to the side and continue eating! :lol: