chuckmum6

Red cabbage = green poo

I suddenly seem to have lots of dark greeny blue poo in my WIR, at first I was concerned, but everyone is healthy and busy doing chicken things. I think it might be the red cabbage I gave the girls, I had been using these in my art lesson to Y4, they had been observed but untouched. So I popped 4 halves in the run to see if the girls would like them, they do, but it seem to affect their poo!

Yes, It is a shock! I tried them on red cabbage as there was some on the reduced shelf. They did eat it with weird poo results. (Blue??)

But they prefer the pointy cabbage, savoy or January king cabbage so I've stuck to those. My two also eat cauliflower, but their favourite vege is pak choi (aka bok choi).

Ok quick science explanation coming up....

Red cabbage is a natural ph indicator. That means it goes red in acid and blue/green in alkali. Chicken poop is decidedly alkali as it has ammonia in it, but urine is acidic ( ureaic acid) all making for funky poop. How cool. Will mention this to my science class at school :dance:

Xx