gavclojak

Always something to worry about

OK so Betty has been in the nest box ALL day, I have taken her our several times, she will then have a big drink then go straight back in.

She was fine yesterday but she does have mucky knickers which is unlike her. I am sure she laid this morning

She seems to be walking ok pink comb, tummy doesn't feel distended, vent little mucky, feathers and tail up no discharge from nose/eyes but as soon as I take her out....back she goes.

Don't think she is broody as she ex commercial, she is just not herself. I tried to tempt her with tuna/mealworms and she wasn't really interested.

I plan to take her out again before dusk for another glug and if she still won't come out to play tomorrow have a trip to my vets.

Would anyone do anything different?

I took her out for a drink before dusk and she did a big poop of just water, she walked round the cube and straight back in to nest box again. I was going to bring her in for the night but thought best to leave her where she is comfy and see what tomorrow brings

. I am dreading going out there tomorrow :pray:

Can't put my finger on anything other than the diarrhoea but she just isn't right!

the BIG poop and going back to the nest box in an obsessive way definitely sounds like a broody to me.

I have 2 chickens and they both had a broody spell in Oct/Nov. Like you say it was a big worry - I thought one had weak heart as her comb looked a bit purpley. Too much Googling.

Check out broody poops!

Oh gosh how unlucky would that be??

No her crop was fine, no smell from her beak.

I am worried it wasn't her egg yesterday end she may have egg peritonitis, but then again her tummy felt fine....they are still asleep at the moment, I usually let them out at 7ish so we will see what happens then...fingers crossed

UPDATE

Okey dokey....she is still alive....phew....she came out of the cube this morning in her usual third position, she is walking freely,her knickers seem a little drier too, she's drinking well but not that interested in food as yet, she just eat a few grapes but wasn't interested in pellets/mealworms. ( she is always last in the queue anyway) but at the moment she is pottering around hen central...I have removed all the straw from the nest box and just left the auboise in there and just given it a good sprinkle of diatom...

She is just sitting in the run at the moment, not doing very much, head a little down but tail up.... .watch this space....I feel a trip to the vets coming on this afternoon

Edited by Guest

As weird as the "Just water" passing is, it's actually normal if a hen has had too much water to drink. It's weird but it's just something they do! It may be she has a stomach upset if she was a bit messy and not wanting to eat; maybe remove any and all treats and just feed pellets with a bit of tonic in the water till stomach settles? Henzilla had this sort of thing a while back, I think she got a bit of a hen version of a tummy bug.

Ok so betty spent yesterday out of the nest box but not really doing very much, drinking ok but not interested in food at all.

She came into the big garden and pecked at the grass for a bit, had very green poop this morning but I am thinking that was the grass she ate. She had a peck at some tuna, and the odd mealworm and a few grapes but nothing to sustain her long term.

knickers much drier and poop a tad more solid.

she popped out of the cube this morning and had a peck around on the floor, she ate about 2 mealworms and then I had to leave for work.

Any idea's??

I do hope she perks up for you. Sometimes it's impossible to tell with chooks when the usual suspects have been eliminated. Thought my lovely Barnevelder was on the way out couple of weeks back as she was very slow and neck almost under her legs. Took her in and put vitamins in her water. Next day she was fine? Made me wonder if she had been dehydrated or lacking in some mineral, no idea.

I can dispel the hybrid/broody myth as well as had three go broody last summer and one of them twice!

Hope she gets better, will keep fingers crossed for you.

Thanks redsunset. I just came home and she is just resting down in the run, she got up and came over to me for a few grapes....I have added nettex vitaboost to the water. I don't really know what to make of it, she isn't going downhill fast like I would expect with egg perio or the like but I am no expert, the problem I have is if she does take a turn for the worse the chicken vet is closed until Monday:((

Funny enough I just made a porridge of pellets and used a few drops of vita boost and bless her, she devoured it....so happy, I also offered her a few tiny pieces if a spag Bol component(won't say what in case DEFRA are listening) and she gobbled them down. Her poop is a little more solid but she is still just standing.

I am sure that is progress so will see what tomorrow brings :pray:

Funny enough I just made a porridge of pellets and used a few drops of vita boost and bless her, she devoured it....so happy, I also offered her a few tiny pieces if a spag Bol component(won't say what in case DEFRA are listening) and she gobbled them down. Her poop is a little more solid but she is still just standing.

I am sure that is progress so will see what tomorrow brings :pray:

Awww so glad keeping fingers crossed

Update on Betty boo

She is doing much better, still not herself but she is now coming over when I go into hen central, she has pecked away at her currant favourite, pellet porridge with some chopped grapes and mealworms and the afore mentioned spag Bol component for a little extra protein.

She has started to peck and move around the enclosure much more today so it all seems encouraging. I have not seen her go near the dry pellets yet and tomorrow will be tricky as I am working all day. Am gonna try and escape early so she can at least have some porridge before bed! She is still just sitting quite a lot but one step at a time one thinks.

It's as much as I can do to keep the others away from the porridge, they are terrified they are missing out :lol:

Edited by Guest