newcountrygirl

little dog not very well

Ziggy my 5 year old Border terrier has always had a very strong constitution. This week my daughter and family came over with their two pups. Ziggy doesnt get to play much with other dogs and she had an amazing few days racing round the garden with them and at the beach.

On Wednesday evening she was clearly unhappy - still bright as a button but pacing up and down. When I took her out she immediately went for a poo - which was ok. However, on Thursday morning when I got up to let her out she had pood all over the kitchen floor very loose and yellow. She has never done this before and is a very clean dog even when she was a puppy. Decided to just give her plain boiled rice to eat for her tea. She wolfed it down. Throughout the day she had done quite a few very loose poos all yellow.

When I got up this morning she had been fine overnight and when we went out she did do a poo but a bit firmer. However she has just asked to go out now and it was runny again.

I dont want to take her to the vets if it is something I can deal with myself, cos I dont like them just issuing medication. She is bright on herself and not just curling up on her bed. She is drinking plenty of water. Anyone know of anything else I can do? Obviously if it goes on I will take her to the vet.

When mine have an upset tum I just give them chicken breast with rice or boiled egg and rice and that settles them down, but can take A few days. A couple of weeks ago one of mine and one of my mums went down at the same time, they took theirs to the vet and got an injection and course of tablets. Mine just got plain food...they were both fine again at the same time!! I always feel if they are eating and drinking and not being sick then I keep an eye on them but wouldn't worry too much unless it went on for prob more than a week. Hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Thanks Dogmother. If she isnt any better by Monday its off to the vets. She is still having diarrhoea. Its mad because she isnt unwell in herself, wants to eat and happily racing up and down chasing her ball. I have tried just giving her boiled rice but that made the poo bright yellow. Today gave her a probiotic yoghurt and some meat and biscuit to see whether it firmed things up but no - it just changed colour to normal but still explosively runny.

Ah sorry to hear about your little girl :( How is she doing? My cocker spaniel Willow, who is also 5 developed bout of what we thought was an upset tum in oct, she recovered from that (or so it seemed) But then was really poorly just before Christmas, 3 days in doggy hospital :( and was diagnosed with pancreatitis.

She is still recovering (very restricted low fat diet) and apparently it is more common in cocker spaniels and terrier breeds.

Please give us an update. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :D

Dorwest Herbs' Tree Barks Powder is wonderful stuff if you have a dog with a dodgy tum. Hope it's better soon.

A friend of mine who has bred dogs and shows them uses this. She thinks it's great. She's very into a holistic diet for her dogs. Raw meat and veg. Also no vaccinations. Instead she gets blood tests to confirm they are ok :)