Frances Russell

Broody Hen problem

Hi guys,

Courgettie - my Maran Cuivre PP seems to be broody!

Over the past few days she has spent huge amounts of time in the nesting box - puffed up and making unusual noises - which I haven't heard her make before. All books and websites say that this would be indicative to a broody hen :? .

So yesterday afternoon after my other hen - Hettie (Bluebelle) had laid her egg, I shut the coop door in an attempt to stop Courgettie PP being broody in the nesting box. In the afternoon she still seemed a little different to her usual self but at least she was out scratching about looking for little crawlies to eat. So then in the evening when I let them back in again I put an upturned flowerpot in the nesting box again in an attempt to stop Courgettie going into the nesting box. Courgettie (Broody hen) went straight in and kicked it out :( . I couldn't move her as my usually friendly and cuddly hen has turned quite vicious :roll: .

So Hettie (Bluebelle) has quite a large embarrassing bald patch :oops: on her chest which - I think is when she has tried to get in to the nesting box to lay an egg and Courgettie has pecked her. It isn't red however so I am not sure what it is exactly.

So today I put in a shallow box with wood chips so that Hettie can lay an egg there if she needs to. And have shut the coop door. Now Courgettie just seems to be being broody in a hole shes made in the coop run.

So my questions are:

Do you think its likely that Courgettie would be pecking Hettie to stop her getting into the nesting box?

May you have any tips about breaking the broodiness in Courgettie?

Do you have any other tips that may help with the situation?

FYI:

-They are in a green Eglu Go !gogreen!

-And Courgettie has been sleeping in the nesting box for the most of winter - I never thought to stop her :anxious: .

Sorry its such a long winded story... :shock: but I will be most grateful for any help!

Thanks xx

I always felt mean trying to 'break' a broody! I also found that, if I restricted access to the nest box, the broody would just go off and find somewhere else to lay and it then necessitated me crawling through the undergrowth, scouring the garden etc to try and find her and remove the eggs! Soooooooooo, I just let any broodys have free access to the nest box and then made sure I removed any eggs a bit smartish - they got the message in the end!

As to the pecking.....its a good idea to provide an alternative place for unbroody to lay for the duration, if she gets the hang of it!

I always felt mean trying to 'break' a broody! I also found that, if I restricted access to the nest box, the broody would just go off and find somewhere else to lay

This is the problem I am having at the moment. I don't really want to stop either of them going in, but feel sorry for Hettie not being able to get into the nesting box. So now my broody hen is just finding other spots as well. So I think I may let them in but then make sure I keep the other box there for Hettie to lay in. I have also just ordered some anti-peck spray..to try and stop her getting pecked.

Thanks for your help :clap::clap:

You really should try to break her, because they can lose condition when broody, because they won't stop unless they have eggs to hatch. It can ultimately be fatal if you have a very determined hen.

I have recently had one and I was cruel to be kind, I kicked her out of the nest box and closed the door when the others had laid, it was a bit awkward because I have one who likes to lay quite late in the afternoon. I also shut her out in the run at night. We have a low perch in the Eglu run which she sat on at night and this cooled her under belly which is what they need to break broodiness. It took about a week of being vigilant and feeling mean but she is pecking around with the rest of them back normal :D

Well, I shut the door and put a nesting box in the run which Hettie has laid her egg in and now they are both happily scratching around together. Im not sure about making her sleep outside as I only have two chickens and wouldn't want them to get lonely...instead I am going to do what most books suggest and put a large football in the nesting box. Thank you for your help!!

Hi. I have 2 chickens one of which Mabel was broody 3 weeks ago. Took a week to get over it. I shut the coop door but kept an eye out for Doris waiting at the door to go in and lay. I just kept turfing Mabel out the nest every time she got in there. Put gloves on if she pecks. I also put an upturned flower pot in nest a big ceramic one so they can't move it. My 2 don't peck each other when broody but do sit on top of each other trying to get in nest box! Just need to persevere and keep opening the coop, moving the flower pot. Turfing the broody, closing the coop etc -is quite exhausting . Keep the broody off the nest and collect any other egg ASAP

I have a beautiful brahma who wants to be a mum so much she really loses condition if allowed to stay broody. Personally I don't like the idea of dunking them in cold water to cool them down and so for us the answer is the sin bin. A dog crate on bricks but within the run area. The mesh bottom means it's not very comfy for nesting in (my oh cut me a piece of mesh to fit as the crate we have is too large a mesh otherwise). Three days in there does the trick usually. I tend to keep her in there for the first day but let her out with the others for a little while once the nest box is closed. Any sign of plonking herself down though and she's back in like a shot. I know it seems harsh and I don't like doing it but if you leave them be they are at best a sitting target for lice etc and at worst likely to lose quite a lot of weight. I'm pretty sure there is a sticky about this on the chickens page. Good luck!

I used two small footballs wedged in the nest box and somehow one of the others managed to drop and egg in there, she must have perched on the edge :lol: . However my broody just then took up residence on the bars at the the back of the Eglu so I had to shut her out. :roll:

Hi, thanks for all your answers. I have just been turfing her out and letting my other hen in when she wants to lay an egg. She doesn't seem to be pecking anymore either! I have put a football in the nesting box, but the broody hen just sits on the roosting bars at night as well :lol: . I am just going to continue what I am doing because she isn't sitting in the coop except for at night, and I am making sure that she eats and drinks everyday and has a bit of a scratch around for bugs. So her health condition hasn't dropped, but am hoping she will break out of it soon! :!::!:

One of my girls started this at the weekend. Sits in the nest and puffs herself out and growls when you open the door to the nest. Once we know the other two have laid we close the coop so she is outside for a good few hours. Debating the Dog cage trick, but haven't done this before. Do they stay in it 24 hours a day? So they are outside at night to? Any advice would be fab. Thank you.

We tried putting footballs in the nest, but she still managed to sit on one lol! Day one of going in the dog crate today. Fingers crossed a few days will sort her out. We tried closing the coop door once the others had laid, but she just found somewhere comply to sit in the run and not move from.

I haven't posted for a while but have come back on today as my broody hen has become almost insufferable, I would recommend the anti broody cage using a dog crate, but be prepared for this to not work within 3 days and nights. in fact it can take weeks. also be prepared for the fact that she will stop laying if she gets deeply into broodiness because she will think she has a clutch to hatch out (imaginary eggs) so will be concentrating on that.

when I tried the flower pot or football in the nest box she managed to get on top of them and brood them! nothing stranger than a chicken balancing on top of a football! she also tries to brood the eglu bars. she is mad.

someone recommended an ice pack in the nest box to deter as its the heat in their bodies which keeps them broody. I haven't tried this yet as my OH would freak out if I started keeping chicken poopy icepacks in the freezer!

hopefully your girl wont end up as bad as mine though!

Got a broody here as well, with Marguerite the speckledy growling, fluffing and swearing - you wouldn't think nice chooks would know words like that :lol: !

Hauled her out for the last two days, and she does at least eat and drink before heading back. Much pecking and grumping about being removed, and it's just as well the nestbox door is big, as she's no small bird.

Myrtle's looking very lonely without her BFF to play with :(