Lavenders_Blue

A bad year for ticks?

Last year was very bad for ticks around here. We took over 50 off Holly the cocker spaniel at one point! Before that, I think we'd only had the odd one. In this area, the local stream which comes from deer country floods over the local dog walking area, and the vet thought that the ticks had been deposited this way.

We solved it by a tick collar, and liberal use of a Tom o' Twister (I now have two, one for the house and one in the car). This year (fingers crossed) we don't have a problem.

Just found another tick :( Near Tango's ear. I've removed the beastie (tick twister), but the area around the bite is swollen. Everything else looks okay - I can't see a rash or anything. Is this a likely sign of infection? Should I pop her to the vet tomorrow or just keep an eye on things? She seems absolutely fine in herself other than the swelling, but none of the other bites were surrounded by swelling.

ETA - I should have googled first, then posted. Swelling seems to be quite common. I shall just keep a close eye on things.