nin-chicken

Broody crate questions - HELP!

Brilliant outcome Jackian :D Broodies are a persistent pain here too I have had up to three at a time like everyone else I have tried all the methods in the end the dog crate and time is the only way :roll: I just have to be as persistent as they are its just the price you have to pay for having cute fluffy bum silkies and pekins :lol: broodies are also a magnet for red mites so as mean as it seems it for the whole flocks best interest :)

One of my pekins has been broody since April. She is a right madam, we have managed to break it but she lays for a few days and then staight back to broody.

She is a fatty and does eat and drink when we take her off the nest. We gave up with the broody cage as made absolutely no difference whatsoever. So we now just leave her to it but lock her out when we can, close the nest boxes at night, lift her off several times a day and give her a good talking to :lol:

The others have been broody but have been stoppable and have returned to normal. Polly though is a determined, aggressive egg stealer who cares not for my interventions :shameonu:

I have come to accept that this will be her every Spring and Summer. In Winter she is a poppet :)

We aren't fussed about the eggs though - ours are pets and the odd egg a nice extra, so I don't mind that she is never in lay in summer (she does lay most of autumn and winter though).

This is probably a most silly question,but if they are broody do they sit on eggs???My Amber Star is back to sitting in nest box,chirping loudly when being lifted,eats when put out but hops back in.The others have laid in different nest boxes but she sits in empty box.I thought they sat on all eggs?

This is probably a most silly question,but if they are broody do they sit on eggs???My Amber Star is back to sitting in nest box,chirping loudly when being lifted,eats when put out but hops back in.The others have laid in different nest boxes but she sits in empty box.I thought they sat on all eggs?

Not necessarily, some will just sit :roll: my pekin, who can be a great mum when she is hatching is on her usual summer-long broody session. She gets booted off regularly, but it's nigh on impossible to break her of it.

My silkie and my bantam both leave the nesting box to do their business. There's hardly ever any poo in there. Guess I'm just lucky. My pekin frizzle on the other hand was a nightmare all the time she was on her eggs I kept having to check the nest box for broody poos. Not a nice job :o

Brilliant. dazzle had a broody mate, a red partridge silkie. Unfortunately we lost her towards the end, from either red mite, heat stroke or fright from thunder Storm . They were so lovely together I feel the urge to get another silkie now, but I'm fighting it, as not decided whether to keep my 2 girl chicks yet. They are cream legbars ( skittish) :lol: