nin-chicken

Broody crate questions - HELP!

I'm sorry to start up yet another thread on broodyness but I really need some advice about my speckledy girl Jemima...

Last week i noticed some broody behaviour so started to shut the cube door during the day so she couldn't go back in. The trouble was she was getting herself all comfy and puffed up underneath the cube instead! So I put her in a broody crate for 4 days & nights . Suffice to say this did not go down very well! She is a feisty girl and made quite a fuss but soon got used to it. Then on Sunday I let her out with her friends and she had a lovely day in the garden with no inclination to go back into the cube. But then early evening she went in and stayed in, all puffed up and pecked me angrily when I moved her back I to the crate! I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong....

I've covered the top and two sides of the crate with a dark tablecloth so she has a) got some shade and b) foxes can't look at her and freak her out at night. But have I made it too dark and cosy in there I wonder? The trouble is she does need some cover in this heat....I've also raised it up a bit higher this time so there's more airflow. Should I leave her in there a bit longer this time? Or abandon the crate and just keep the cube door shut & shove her off each morning? My last broody girl was out with her friends each day and just went in the crate at night but she is easy to catch (unlike Jemima!) and didn't nest under the cube (unlike Jemima!!)

Any advice gratefully received!!!

Thank you

It does sound rather cosy in there Nin-chicken. We have used a fox trap raised about 18" off the ground with only a sheet above for rain cover. It's always a risk if the mesh is too big. When foxes hunt in pairs one drives the chickens towards the other. If they stick their head out through the mesh it gets bitten off by the one waiting motionless. I've seen it done and dogs do the same.

I doubt she will notice the fox when she is snoozing, unless it tries to get in and wakes her up. I'd continue with the crate for a while. You can test her broodiness with an egg. Put one in front of her and if she tucks it underneath she is still broody.

Thanks beantree. I have made it less cosy by using just a white sheet on the roof & down one side. And by raising it up higher she can no longer sit on the log which is underneath. Poor girl has just been standing there all day. Only made a few fed up noises when I let the others into the garden but i distracted her with a slice of melon! I will keep her in there until at least Thursday and hope for the best!

Thanks again!

Please don't ask for my help as I am in the same position .

Dog crate, shutting the coup, making a nest out side , fine half the day FR and then has a light bulb moment and off we go again :shock::roll::doh:

Shadow a speckldey has now been broody for 7 weeks and I have tried everything .Every time I think we have broken it off she goes again .

I feel really sorry for her but it niggles me as well as she has only been laying for 3 weeks .

She has also I think gone down the pecking order as she is very nervous around the other girls now .

I am only telling you this as you are not alone (not that that helps) and I need help also.

Jackie x

Hi Jackian,my broody is also bottom of the flock.Is this because she is broody??Before I put her in crate I couldn't decide if she was dust bathing or making a nest when I took her out of the eglu and locked the door but the others were really having a go at her.Presumably when she comes out of the crate she will be bullied too until she integrates??I I am thinking I'll stick to ex batts,bless them,they must have broodiness we'll stamped out by the time they are rescued.

Grandmashazzie .. I think so .She was number 3 out of 5 and now Blossom and Bluebell who were below her are feeling on top of the world :lol:

She is my first broody in 4 years and my first speckldey... from what I have read they go broody at the drop of a hat. No more .

Jackie x

Don't talk to me about broodies. Mine are all over the place at the mo. I've not used the cage yet, but think I'm about to. My white silkie is spending more time on the nest than not, and in between she's had a moult! Have had 2 Broodys at a time for about 6 weeks :lol: I just keep making sure they eat every now and then. Wish I was brave enough to hatch. fifi, the latest broody, is a silkie and devotes herself to the nest and everyone's eggs :?

Oh goodness, it sounds like there are lots of us in the same situation! 7 weeks!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, I thought it'd be 3 weeks max. It does make me wonder if its easier/quicker to just let them get on with it...... Maybe less stressful, all round? As long as they come off to drink & eat. But its tricky when you have others wanting to go in and lay isn't it? I loved your 'light bulb moment' Jackie! That's exactly what it's like :lol:

Last night I left the crate uncovered but just after midnight heard loads of noise outside -2 foxes playing in the garden. I had to go out and put the tablecloth on the crate as I just felt so sorry for Jemima, all exposed like that! Maybe I should've left her....

I hadn't even thought about pecking order issues :? But Jemima is at the top so hope she will be fine. I hadn't heard about speckledys being prtone to broodiness either. So it looks like I'm in this for the long haul then!!

How are you other ladies faring? Maybe we should start a Broody support group!

Glad to read I am not alone! Daisy my Amber Star has been broody now for 6 weeks. DH turfs her our a few times a day and she gives out and puffs up in protest. I was sure it wouldn't last as long as this! I haven't tried a broody cage or anything as I had to go off and invest in a dog crate so at the moment I am letting her get on with it. :wall:

Yep, my first broody time here in Pekin Palace aswell. Lilly, a lavender, has been at it for about 3 days now, rolling eggs under her and trying to snatch them back when I collect them. Puffed up like a feathery football and snappy etc although she let me have the mother of all cuddles just now ... before trying to peck me! When I move her out of the Cube nestbox she pootles off, scoffs pellets like she's never been fed and drinks plus poops so I guess as long as she's getting a good feed and drink at least daily she'll come round. Will keep an eye on it and if needs be resort to separating or even dunking although not keen on this incase it shocks her too much (the dunking that is). Chooks eh? :doh:

I posted yesterday about Shadow my speckldey who has been broody for 7 weeks.

I had an idea yesterday that she may be coming out of it and today is a Eureka moment :clap:

Last night when I opened the coup up at 9 she didn't bother to go in .

For the last 7 weeks every morning I have had to lift her out with her growling and thinking I am the woman from hell.

This morning I opened the coup door and out she trotted ..First and the coup door has been open all day and she has just been doing chicken things with her mates .

Eating,drinking ...just normal . Fingers and toes crossed ,all we need now is an !egg!

Jackie x

After posting on here about Shadows broodiness ..It happened again .She only laid for another week and back we were to square one :roll: ..Three weeks on I thought it was not fair on the other girls as although they had a couple of nest boxes they would all go in the same one and I was spending so much time removing her and the space she was removed to was more than the other girls had all together .

A decision was made and I rang the farmer I brought her from in Windsor and asked his advice . He said " We will rehome her ,We love broodies bring her over and we will put her in quarantine and then use her for hatching " My friend and I took her over and every body has gained. I was sorry to see her go but she was not happy and nor were her friends or me .The farmer as he has a lovely broody , Shadow as she can become a mum, my other 4 girls as they are now two sets of two and there is no odd one out and they have their nest box back and me as I am calm and relaxed .. For now .I was sorry to see her go but she was not happy and nor were her friends or me

Jackie x