Does anyone have first hand experience of Araucanas in a mixed flock?

Are they OK with other chooks, or do they tend to supreme nastiness (above and beyond acceptable and expected hen pecking) to incoming birds?

Reason for asking is that I had a cream legbar (which has Araucana somewhere in its make up), and she was the most nasty, vindictive hen. I don't mean hen pecking, we're talking never ever relenting from her persecution of any newbie. We had her from 8 weeks old, and she was not herself perseuted when she joined her flock, and the Welsummer girl she joined with was completely laid back. She turned into the most evil of chickens when we added new birds, and she never let up.

I wondered if this came from the Araucana part of her makeup.

I want to add to my flock when I hatch next year, and I had been thinking about adding an Araucana or two. Obviously as newbies the Araucanas won't cause issues, but I'm thinking ahead to future additions.

I should add that my cream legbar was never horrible to us humans.

WHat's your experience?

Have a single araucana and Nasty was her middle name. She is now over 5yrs old now and is much more calm. Each year I was going to pass her on but I felt so bad even thinking of this that I couldn't. She is however best buddies with my faverolle and all her life has slept under her wing :D The two of them are best friends but she attacked incomers quite nastily. Others have reported however that they have the sweetest natured araucanas. Eggs are simply gorgeous, laid from approx March to September or thereabouts. Ax

My araucana is bottom of the pecking order in my lot.

No sign of nastiness whatsoever

She just runs around beeping like a demented Roadunner sometimes to get away from the Sussex Star that likes to jump on her back and peck her, but mostly just because she can

In many ways she's my favourite chook - impossible to be glum around Poppy and her mad antics :)

I guess it's like all other chooks then - just depends on the individual :lol:

I've had one Leghorn hybrid and one Leghorn. These have the reputation of being flighty birds and not very friendly, but they have both been two of my tamest and friendliest chooks.

Ah well, I have another 10 months to think about it.

I have two lavender aracaunas who live with 3 ex-bats. They all get on, although the aracaunas are rather arrogant and aloof. I had to take them away from the bantams though because they loved feather pecking the head gear of the Polands!

I love their blue eggs so would always look to include them in a flock.

I've always got some bantam araucanas in the flock - hardy birds; always healthy, first to lay, last to stop in the winter, reliable producers of eggs. However they do tend to be vocal.... not the gentle clucking we are used to, but a sort of rusty gate grating noise :roll: (you get used to it), they are mad as a bag of frogs too :lol: You need to make sure they get plenty of handling when young, otherwise they can be hand shy too.

Paxo (Araucana) was no.2 'the enforcer' she was very good at keeping order for Queen Lisa. A year after losing her there still doesn't appear to be a replacement so there is some disorder/disharmony at times. I have 2 Araucana X Leghorns, Persil is lovely and enjoyed being broody last year but her sister has been wearing the beak ring of shame where she took a strong dislike to poor old Eccles and Freckles and wouldn't let them alone.

I had a Wyandotte bantam, Mavis, that carried on like your araucana and was really vicious to everyone especially newbies. Little PeeWee spent her first few months living up high out of her way. In the end I rehomed her to Chook n Boo Mum, where I understand she's totally nice and raised chicks and escaped a fox attack. Peace returned instantly to the Bantie house on her departure. I've disliked Wyandottes since.