Lewis

Vet School here I come!

Gizmo is currently lying across the keyboard as I type this, so he's still here :lol:

Not enough time to sort vaccinations and passport before Christmas so the plan is that he'll go home with me for summer on the condition (parents say so) that he comes back here for term time as my little companion :D

My best friend, who I also did my last degree with, is struggling with the distance from home, stress and anxiety so is leaving here on Sunday; I'm gutted :(

She still wants to be a vet but the style of teaching here is very different with tests every week, lecturers aren't forthcoming with lecture slides/notes and we aren't allowed to use dictaphones to record lectures as they're probably aware English isn't their first language.

She's applied to UK vet schools so is hoping for interviews and to be there next year but if not will look at Vet Nurse and other related courses.

I'm gutted to see her go on a personal level but I know it's selfish wanting her to stay and that she'll be happier at home. We've booked a week in Dublin for January (€14 return flights) with other friends so at least we have something to look forward to!

Yeah there's quite a few international students out here and because most people live in dorms it's a nice little community - people are always sharing notes, past papers, bones for anatomy etc and if you've forgotten to bring something from home, chances are someone here will have one to lend you :)

In my post-BSc class there are 22 of us with probably over half the people from UK and Ireland and the rest from Norway, Iceland, Zimbabwe and Israel. There are Americans, Australians on other years.

Having a grumpy couple of days after spending too much time doing work, not going out and missing my friend. We did nothing all weekend, I only left dorms to go and feed Clarence the Kestrel and staying in is something I'm not used to!

We had an Anatomy exam straight after our lecture starting at 7.15 this morning (I got a C, 65%) then a Latin test which I don't think went very well. Histology exam tomorrow, I have another four exams next week and then we start Finals two weeks after that!

Last night we got a message to say they'd found a home for 4 of the cats we've been fostering but the place doesn't sound very encouraging considering how some animals are kept out here.

I'm hoping to adopt Gizmo if he can be fostered for the 3 weeks I'm home for Christmas.

I was teaching English to school kids this afternoon which cheered me up a bit how cheeky they are; I got home and found a key in my pocket which I'd taken off them to stop them locking each other in the cupboard :roll::lol::lol:

22 sleeps until I'm home for Christmas :mrgreen:

I passed my Anatomy Final today so that's semester one of Vet School done!

We celebrated last Friday by spending the day skiing which was amazing

blogger-image-267985840.jpg

So much has happened, I can't believe I moved here exactly 6 months ago today.

It took a while to get properly settled in and there are still thing about the place that surprise me but there are lots of positives too; things that I could never do studying in the UK.

In my first semester I've taken bone marrow from a mouse and a cow, taken blood from a rabbit, a chicken and a calf, taken up Falconry and gone hunting with Golden Eagles.

Over the last few weeks I've realised how much development there is going on in and around Kosice.

WizzAir have announced a new base here with 2 new routes to Milan (cheap weekend away!) and Sheffield (easy for me to get home) meaning more people will visit and bring more money into the local economy, the roads around town all being dug up to replace tram lines and the trams are being replaced and there is also a big new development with apartments, a landscaped park and swiming pool starting in Spring.

On campus they're building a new €2.7million Small Animal Veterinary Hospital due for completion in October.

UVM%2BVeterinary%2BHospital%2B2015.jpg

Gizmo the cat (aka Giz, Gaz, Gary :lol:) I was only fostering for a few weeks is still here and doesn't look like he's going anywhere fast ;)

blogger-image--1355782382.jpg

My friend who left found out this week that she has a place to study at Surrey Vet School, so I'm really pleased for her! :D

Congratulations on the exam result and finishing the first year!

It sounds like it's been a rewarding experience in many different ways that you have managed well. You were brave to take the step you did and I'm delighted you are happy and enjoying it - all of us who have followed your progress are actually rather proud of you 8)

Congrats on gettting through your first semester successfully Lewis :clap: . So pleased that your friend got a place at Surrey. Has she goone straight there or does she start in the summer? DD has also just passed her first round of exams. They were Anatomy too. I wonder how close your syllabus is to the UK's. Clearly no Latin here!