Bananachuck

Dangers of layers pellets

We've just but our two new girls in with the 3-year olds for the first time today. The new girls are about 25/26 weeks an have been fed on growers and not yet laying. Is it now safe for them to have layers, or should we switch them all to growers?

I heard somewhere that layers can encourage them to start laying. Could that be true?

Well I've added some growers to the layers and you'd think I've dished up a feast. Gobbling the lot! Maybe it's just the same old stuff that they got bored with. Well I guess if you had Weetabix morning noon and night for months you'd be fed up too. Well I would! They even ate all of their pellet porridge breakfast too!

We've put all our non-laying breeding sets onto rearers. Something we usually do, but this thread has brought it to the front of my mind.

The cockerel with joint problems still prefers layers pellets and waits until he is released into the main enclosure before gorging himself on them. His hens are fine with the changeover.

We don't think that is the root of his problem. We are now treating for 'depression', so have move his coop and enlarged his morning run 4 fold to encourage him to move about. Possible his immobility is just a lack of exercise or simple dehydration. We had him out on the front lawn yesterday. He was a bit agoraphobic, but with a hen we have treated for digestive impaction he was OK. He moved about a lot more and drank a huge amount, so they are good signs.

Our cockerel has a sore 'knee' joint so we are treating it with Arnica. Still possible it is the layers pellets? He has now developed a liking for the rearers, so only time will tell if he recovers and then we will never know if it is the reduced Calcium or the Arnica treatment!

TBH, it is more likely to be a soft tissue injury; cockerels are far more active than hens, especially in the bedroom department. My friend's cockerel has a strain from over-active husband duties :roll:

my 3 are having to work harder try to catch their girls as nearly all of them are moulting so don't want to know the boys. they are getting to odd limb now and again but they only last a couple of days. considering the randy beggars chase around after the girls at the moment I'm surprised they aren't doing themselves more damage

I'm sorry but I do not buy the idea that layers pellets are that bad for non laying birds

I personally don't like layers pellets and hardly ever feed them but I really don't think they are that bad, plenty of cockerels eat layers pellets after all

I would never give layers to hens that haven't started to lay but beyond that (in periods of winter non laying or after retirement) I cant see it being a massive problem

There are a hundred other things that are more problematic for chickens IMHO

I completely agree Redwing (I spent ages trying to like your post before realising this was not facebook).

Call me a cynic but it seems odd that the OP has not posted again and this was their only post.