Luvachicken

Watery poo, wet knickers and Winter, any ideas ?

Some of you may know that Queenie has had watery poo since May and despite 3 trips to the vet and a dose of Beryl's bacteria, she still has watery poo but is otherwise fine.

One of the vets shaved off all of her bottom feathers so they wouldn't get matted but now they have grown back.

Unfortunately I have been poorly the last couple of weeks (food poisoning) so hadn't taken as much care of my girls as I should have, but feeling better on Saturday I gave them a good look over. Poor Queenie had little mud balls on her bottom feathers. I didn't have time to wash her, as it would soon be dark, but just wiped her with a baby wipe.

I was thinking of giving her a bath every Saturday to remove the dirt. This gives me plenty of time to get her washed and dried.

Do any of you think I should do it more often ?

When she first got the watery poo, I washed her every day, but it does take a long time to get all the feathers dry which will be more difficult on a work day now the clocks have changed.

Any ideas would be much appreciated :D

I don't have advice but would like to add with a question of my own because I am a cheeky mare. If any of my girls get messy bums I keep the feathers trimmed although I am not sure if that is the correct thing to do

Do hens tend to do wet poops as they get old and during a moult?

What about a daily wipe with baby wipes? At least the winter is fast approaching and fly strike isn't too much do a worry. One of my girls always seem to have dirty knickers without any ill effect, well that's apart from the new girls who have no knickers at all..... :oops:

Weekly washing is an idea but I would see if the good old wipes work. Sorry you have been poorly, my daughter in law just recovered from a nasy bout of FP after a dodgy Chinese :twisted:

Bernadette has had runny but not watery poo for the last few weeks now. She seems normal in herself though so I'm hoping it's just something to do with coming to the end of egg laying.

She has slightly dirty knickers which I haven't done anything about yet, but baby wipes sound like a good idea.

This forum is so useful.

Good luck with yours luvachicken

I'd use baby wipes to clean it up a bit and then give it a wash when you're off work to allow time for it to dry. I seem to have loads of packets of baby wipes since I started keeping chickens; more than when my kids were little :lol:

I'm sorry to hear you've been poorly luvachicken; I hope you are feeling much better now :D

Thank you everyone for your get well wishes.

I am feeling much better (blaming Coronation Chicken from well known store) and just have 4 antibiotics left to go.

With regards to Queenie I was more worried about the fact she might be damp overnight and this might give her a chill, and also that having seen that lovely dog on 'The Supervet' with all that matted fur if having mud balls on feathers would feel the same.

Worming is due to be done soon but have held off for a couple of weeks as they have been moulting badly and I bought them a pumpkin as a treat, so might do that next week.

Haven't tried Biostop yet as I have a whole bottle of Oregostim to get through but I am willing to give anything a go - she also hasn't laid any eggs this year :(

Whilst I'm an advocate or oregano extract, I don't think it has miraculous effects. I have an exbat with constant dirty knickers. I've never intervened and she gets on just fine. I picked her up for an inspection today, she was most indignant and tried to beat me up :lol: . Her feathers are rather short though, so perhaps that's the answer, just keep them trimmed :D