kinsk

Our New Baby Boy

We lost our lovely rottie to bone cancer in March, then we got my little princess to keep Max company

pipmax10.jpg

and finally decided it was time for another big black dog, we got him 9 weeks ago, although it feels like he's been here forever and is growing like mad, averaging 1kg a week!

oscar10.jpg

Took him to the local artisan market yesterday so he could see a bit more of life, as you can see he was really impressed :lol: He was such a good boy and loved all the attention and fuss a puppy gets. Was a little overwhelmed to start with all the people and other dogs but soon settled down. He wasn't such a fan of the live music but we found somewhere to sit and chill out for a bit.

oscar_11.jpg

Lovely pup.I had wondered about your others dog.Didn't you post about his diagnosis on here?

Yes. He was diagnosed December last year. A lump came up on his head so suddenly we thought someone had hit him over the head. When it didn't go down after a couple of days took him to the vets who suggested it might be bone cancer but said it usually starts in legs and for such a big lump to come up so fast on his head she didn't think it would be.

Had a biopsy done and it came back with a positive for bone cancer. She warned us that it looked particularly agressive, put him on metacam, not that he ever showed any sign of pain but he was such a tough dog. He did his cruciate ligament a few years earlier and had to have a plate put in his leg but breezed though that like it was nothing.

She predicted 3 months, so we got 4 months. For the last two he had to be on a special diet as he started to be sick on his normal food. He lived for his food though, especially when he was on chicken and tripe, and we both agreed that when he couldn't eat properly, or something else was effecting his quality of life we'd call it. The swelling on his head started effecting his jaw and on the Friday morning he was struggling a bit to eat so we arranged for the vet to come out on the Monday morning. He went to sleep on his beloved table

moo910.jpg

A picnic table with astroturf on the top!

031410.jpg

He was a really great dog. Had a hard start to life, we got him from Cheshire dogs home, he'd been shipped over from manchester dogs home, rehomed, taken back, reclaimed by his original owners, taken back, so in and out of various dogs homes at least twice before we got him at 12 months old. He had his issues and then had to go through his big operation on his lef, but was a dog in a million and didn't deserve to go before he was 8 years old :(

Sorry about your old dog. Always heartbreaking to lose them. :(

However, your new pup so simply gorgeous. :dance:

I love Rotties, my parents lived next door to a family with a rottie, ironically named "Tiny", she was a gorgeous affectionate girl. I had my little terrier at the time, and he was besotted with her.... Seeing him on his back legs reaching up to lick her face was hilarious :lol:

Lovelly pup. I was advised many years ago when my first Labrador got ill and died at the vets, to get another. Although you do miss the one you lost the new one does may the loss easier to deal with. The lady with the advice was an elderly lady who kept two little dogs, just in case

He's going through an ugly stage at the moment, you know when some bits grow and others don't, a bit like that adolescent boy period where the features on their face aren't quite fitting together :lol:

He is turning into a lovely little boy though. Took him for a run out to the vets this week to get him some wormer and put him on the scales, I weigh him at home each week but think it's good experience for them to go and not really have anything 'done' to them. He was as good as gold, got straight on the scales, had his treat and then lay down and wouldn't get up :lol:

Taking him back into town this weekend, we live down a little lane so he doesn't get to see much life during the week. Weather depending he might even have his first pub trip.

He's a little star, and despite being a long haired "throw back" we are getting used to the fluffiness and love it, not so much when it's covered in mud, but he's like an oversized teddy bear.

Took him out for the Christmas light switch on, the place was heaving with the people, kids and dogs, stalls, a kiddies fairground and he didn't bat an eye. I was chatting to a stall holder I knew and got a tap on the shoulder asking if I could move him, he was flat out blocking a pram coming past. Have never known such a chilled pup, although wasn't thinking that this morning as he was doing the wall of death round the kitchen with a length of rope he'd found outside :lol: