susanb

cost of euthanasia - some information which may help

just to share what I have found out today

I have a 2 1/2 year old hybrid who has damaged her leg and cannot stand on it. She stopped laying months ago. It is not fair or reasonable to try to treat her, so I have decided it will be kinder to have her PTS. (sorry if this sounds harsh, I have given her 3 days of TLC, hand feeding her every hour and bathing her to keep her clean etc. She is not drinking either, but does enjoy the soaked bread I am giving her....her leg is not improving and since she has been away from the other girls now for 3 days, there is no way she can go back in with them unless she could be 100% fixed....and at her age I just think it is kinder not to put her through anything more.....she is not a chicken who enjoys conact with people and not a great patient either).

Anyway, the vet I usually use for my dog was going to charge me around £40 and had no appointments. So I did some ringing around. i was quoted over £50 by one vet, a couple wanted £40, one was £30 and one was £20. but I did find one who is only going to charge me £8.74, and could fit me in today. I don't know how there could be such a big difference for what is essentially the same service, but I just wanted to mention this in case there is anyone else in a similar position who is worrying about the cost. Ring around and see what different vet practices might charge!

I think it very much depends on the vet (I am not sure if it also depends on whether you have other - more profitable - pets who are patients at the same surgery). I have had two chucks PTS by the vet (same surgery, but different individual vets). I was charged £13.50 both times, which included cremation. Both times the vet spent ages with me deciding if there was anything else we could try before PTS, so I was somewhat surprised that the bill was so small - I would happily have paid more for a really good service (and I was just so grateful to have my chucks PTS "properly", not having the gumption to do it myself!!)

Susanb, just wanted to say that you are absolutely doing the right thing for your hen and I applaud your decision not to put her through any more discomfort.

I've only had this done once, and it was very cheap but I think it depends on whether your vet has a 'small animal' rate and also, as Bramble says, whether you have other animals that you take there. From the vet's point of view, it takes the same amount of time and the same paperwork as for any animal, it's just a smaller dose of the drug. I can only assume that some vets view this sort of work as a sort of subsidised 'loss leader' on the basis that you will use their services again. I get a friend to do it for me now, but I do want to learn to do it myself.

Thanks, Olly, that really helps :)

It was not an easy decision as she was very bright in herself, just completely could not stand up and was not getting better.

It turns out we were given the "caged bird" price.....and the vet said we should probably have been charged the "rabbit" price (just over £13)....but that would still have been worth paying for not having to do it ourselves.

We will stick to our usual vet for our dog, but nice to know there is someone available for a sensible price should we need to do this again (fingers crossed that we don't).

Yes we'll done you.I haven't had to PTS chickens but had my dog PTS at home recently,I was surprised at how little they charged,in comparison to their generally high fees.They have started charging a £6 admin fee if your pet is insured to deal with admin :doh: .perhaps it is done in a true spirit of compassion.

I agree with Olly, and would despatch a bird that bad too. PM me if you're in Oxfordshire, and I'll do it for you to save you paying a vet.

Isn't that an incredible offer from DM :clap: just goes to show that there are people out there happy to put themselves out for others! Am so impressed!

Yes that is a fabulous offer DM.

Pob was £36 total for consult and to pts but I was charged only £17.95 for other consults. The other poultry vet wanted £50 before we got through the door! Plus Pob's vet charged nothing for 2 Tylan injections and £1.00 for a 10 day course of powder.

but I do want to learn to do it myself.

I agree with Olly, too.

It's the kindest way if you can. I have had to let three hens go this way while cuddling them. they don't know what's happened. Had to get husband to do sickly cockerel as I wasn't strong enough.

I don't believe in prolonged treatment for a hen and I think you are doing the right thing. Best of luck.

I had to despatch a wood pigeon yesterday; I was walking with LBB and our dogs, while some people were shooting pigeons in a nearby wood; this bird had been hit, but was stuck in a ditch and obviously injured/distressed :( . It had taken a hit through one wing and into the chest, so a quick end was the best. It didn't go to waste though as LBB was going to freeze it to use as a decoy when training her gundogs.