quickcluck

would like to learn to crochet

Oh wow, that's AMAZING thanks - that makes a lot of sense if 4 is meant to make a cone - I was trying to make a flat circle! I will definitely try it again, although in this case, it's for an ear so I'll need to do the other ear the same, but hopefully, if this one works, I will make more, so will definitely try the cone trick next time THANKS!!!! 8)

This is what she will look like (I hope!!!)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lyra-the-loving-greyhound

Thanks both!!!

No, actually, I'm not - my greyhound is going to blue :oops: as I'm still at the beginner stage, I don't want to waste nice new wool on a project that mightn't work. My Mum's a big knitter so has a pretty good stash of wool which I'm using for my first projects (she doesn't seem to mind ... too much!). I think if this guy works out, I'll be happy to buy some 4ply to make another one (or several!) Mum doesn't have any greyhound coloured 4 ply!!! :roll::roll:

I know what you mean about not wanting to do anything complicated - I'm the same - I worry if I start something complicated or big, then I'll get fed up of it and not finish. :anxious:

I crocheted a little panda for a friend (who collects pandas) as an Easter gift (again, having raided Mum's wool stash!) - I couldn't believe how thrilled she was with him - I was on the verge of not giving him to her as I didn't think he was good enough!

Thank you Cat Tails - that's really helpful! I didn't have a problem getting the stitches in, the problem was making a "circle" out of four stitches - however, I was aiming to make a flat circle, it didn't occur to me to make it anything other than flat :oops::roll: Can't wait to try again now!!!!

I'm with you, magic circles are fine in theory, but I do struggle with the practice!!

Greyhound now has a head, two ears (the bits that required the infamous four ring magic circle) and two legs, started work on the body, then just the other two legs to go (they're a bit of a pain). The hard part is stitching it all together in a way that it looks vaguely like the picture!!

I've just thought - the pattern doesn't seem to have a tail - I'll have to make something up, you can't have a greyhound without a tail!!!

Love the greyhound.

I really struggle with magic circles, have managed them a few times but it just doesn't come naturally and more often than not will chain 2 and work into 1st chain as otherwise I've lost interest in the project before I've even started!