quickcluck

would like to learn to crochet

Hi guys.

Have never crocheted but can knit. Would like to look into learning to crochet flowers so I could put them together for a blanket.....

anyone have any advice on where to begin? Or which wool should be used? Do crochet hooks come in sizes like knitting needles? I think I'll be able to find some info on good old youtube.... but if difficult when you dont even know where to start!

Thanks

K

Start with a size 2,5 or 3 hook and use cotton rather than wool. Wool stretches, which makes it harder to use and get right. I would start with the basics and a good one would be making a phone cover. Just a square which you can fold over and close up with a needle and some yarn.

Phildar, Kania, Catania all do a simple cotton for 2,5 to 3,5 hooks in lots of colours.

A good source of patterns is Ravelry. They have lots of free ones, but you do need to make an account. (Lots of knitting patterns too!)

If you need any help, just give a shout!

Yes, crochet hooks come in all sorts of sizes just like knitting needles. I'm another big fan of Ravelry. As well as lots of different patterns, many of them free, you can see what other people have made and what yarn they used.

For some really clear tutorials, look at Lucy at Attic 24 - a great blog as well as lots of free patterns and step-by-step guides.

I can't knit, although it is my mission for 2015 to at least get to drips with the basics, but because of this I started to learn to crochet.

I bought a basic book which explained stitches and persevered with squares until it made sense.

There are a lot of online resources, but what I wish I'd known is that some are US and some UK patterns. I didn't realise this for a while and then it clicked why somethings just didn't look right. This maybe the same with knitting patterns? If there is a reference to single crochet it's US, there are a lot of conversions charts though if you google them.

Will be off to look at attic 24 now though!

Crochet Unravelled: A Clear and Concise Guide to Learning Crochet by Claire Bojczuk is a very useful little booklet to help you start off.

And yes, watch out for US or UK patterns as they have similar terms for stitches but US single crochets = UK double crochet, US doubles are UK trebles - check the pattern carefully first; I'm a musician so I don't have too much trouble transposing though!

Edited by Guest

I think my best advice would be... to be prepared to be very frustrated for a time but don't give up!

All of a sudden, all will become clear.

I learnt from my many mistakes :roll:

Very true!! I remember getting so frustrated but perseverance paid off. What I found easier with crochet is that when you do go wrong it's a lot easier to unravel your work back to where the mistake is, something I just can't do with knitting so have to start again from scratch rather than just a few stitched back or the beginning of the row!

You may find to start with that stitch markers help, especially if working rounds.

ETA - I love that dragon! Just signing up to ravelry now to see your giraffe.

Heidi Bears has a free ducky that uses the same techniques.

I wouldn't start too big... It might put you off of crocheting once you finally finished. It took me a few of those flowers to get the hang of the whole thing and half way through putting my giraffe together, I discovered I used the wrong technique... But left it at that. It has a slightly different appearance than planned.

One of the other projects I started were these little snowmen. Not too hard, but fun to make and you have something finished within an hour.

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't start too big... It might put you off of crocheting once you finally finished.

A very good point. Definitely try to pick something where you can see the results sooner rather than later. My second project I started was a throw, half way through I thought I'd never get to the end, two years on it's still not finished :oops:

I love the duck and the snowmen are going in the file for next Christmas.

Good luck.