quickcluck

would like to learn to crochet

nearly round and nearly square :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what blocking is all about, to straighten/neaten everything up!

Usually done by wetting natural fibre items and stretching and pinning them out, with acrylic pin out to shape then use a steam iron held above but not touching, the fabric will 'relax' with the steam.

nearly round and nearly square :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what blocking is all about, to straighten/neaten everything up!

Usually done by wetting natural fibre items and stretching and pinning them out, with acrylic pin out to shape then use a steam iron held above but not touching, the fabric will 'relax' with the steam.

That sounds interesting!

I have never bothered to try anything like that. I do very occasionally iron some crochet work. But only if there many different shapes in it, to make it more flat.

But hey, I crochet mostly plushies, so no need for perfect squares!

It's useful if you're making something like a granny square blanket when you want all the squares exactly the same size, or an intricate doily or lace designs to open up the spaces.

I don't usually bother though as I don't make these kind of things - hats and net designs don't really need it, and my last construct was a huge tunisian entrelac wrap and I can't find any flat surface large enough to spread it out!

Edit: Forgot to say, if you're making things wet/steamed use blocking pins or rust resistant pins and allow the item to dry while pinned out.

Edited by Guest

I thought for a minute that you wouldn't want a knitting pattern, but then I read the description and not just the title!

I think the small plain blue one, or the largest one should be doable - they are just like granny squares in rows (3 trebles in the space below). The middle sized one has a lot of colour changes and carrying yarn I suspect so I wouldn't make that your first project.

Edit: But, yes, why pay when Moogly does free ones? - just be aware that Moogly uses US terms so the same stitches are called different things.