quickcluck

would like to learn to crochet

Hmmm... There are lots of crochet books around, but if you google patterns, you'll find that most will just have them on their page and no downloading is required.

I've bought a few books with patterns, but I tend to make most of my things from patterns I find on internet.

Maybe craft magazines?

There is "Simply Crochet" magazine, but it's not always that easy to get http://www.simplycrochetmag.co.uk/

Most of the wool websites have patterns you can order. John Lewis have a few http://www.johnlewis.com/sport-leisure/sewing-knitting/knitting-crochet-patterns/crochet=knittingpatterncrafttype-knittingcrochetpatterns-2941/c7000010511

Amazon is also quite good.

I do download and print off most of mine.

I'd go for double knitting and something fairly standard with acrylic in it - Stylecraft is a good one. Fancy yarns like cotton and bamboo can sometimes split especially if you're undoing and redoing stitches, and you probably don't want to invest too much in your first project.

I actually found a variegated yarn helps you see how the yarn makes stitches as you can follow the colour. The yarn I'm remembering is Patons UK Fab doubleknit in "Rainbow" - here's my Ravelry stash page for it, and at the bottom you can see what I've made with it so far.

Edit: I don't know if you need a ravelry account to see mine, but it is free and they don't spam your e-mail.

I would say, nothing too fuzzy and nothing too stretchy.

I mostly make plushies and such. But the few times I've done things like baby booties and hats, I had to get used to the stretchiness of wool, compared to the cotton yarn I normally use.

Sorry Cat tails, but what is a plushie :? ?

Edited to say I just looked it up - a stuffed animal - I think :D

Just looked up Patons rainbow wools.

There are some very pretty ones and not too expensive either.

Will pop to local craft shop tomorrow and see what they have :D

Learnt another stitch today - half double crochet :dance:

Jeeh! A local craft shop! What a luxury! Sadly I don't have any local crafts shops. Although some people say that in a country like the Netherlands everything is local... :lol:

Just looked up Patons rainbow wools.

There are some very pretty ones and not too expensive either.

Will pop to local craft shop tomorrow and see what they have :D

Learnt another stitch today - half double crochet :dance:

Jeeh! A local craft shop! What a luxury! Sadly I don't have any local crafts shops. Although some people say that in a country like the Netherlands everything is local... :lol:

Well about 15 mins in the car so kind of local.

Need something to keep my mind off the weather they say is coming on Wednesday.

Might even find something to make for the crafty swap :D

I am another crocheter :D I taught myself about 5 years ago now I think, with a book from the library and attic24 blog. Moogly is another website which has amazing tutorials, lovely clear diagrams and videos. There is also another called Creative Crochet crowd with Mikey - he does a lot of videos on YouTube and again super clear instructions.

I would start with DK weight yarn, Stylecraft is lovely but I started with cheapie King Cole £1.80 for 100g, and a 3.5mm or 4mm hook. I personally wouldn't start with a cotton, especially something like Drops Paris as it's quite splitty and when you are already trying to contend with where on earth to put the hook and through which loop, you don't want to be dealing with several strands of awray yarn.

I think my first ever crochet item were simple stars from the attic24 blog, which I then used for Christmas cards. I then started on her granny stripe blanket and that took me the years on and off. It's massive and fits over my king size duvet perfectly. I have made several blankets of various patterns, and got into amigurumi ( Japanese patterns all in single crochet (US DC) and make various animals and toys type items with that style).

That's one thing to watch out for, which language the pattern you are looking at is in. US and UK stitches aren't the same, so look out for how colour is spelt, and if there is sc or dc in the pattern.

When I started I spent a LOT of time doing a chain, undoing the chain and redoing the chain, just to help with holding the hook, yarn and tension. Even though I have been doing this for a few years, I am still a beginner I feel and still get tripped up with certain patterns. Keep at it and it will click. I am so pleased I learnt this craft and it turned out my nan also loved to crochet, so it's passed down in the genes to me :D no one else in my family does it.

A beginner after 5 years :shock:

Well, I was quite happy with my first little square so I took it to school to show the mum who gave me the hook and wool in the first place.

She was so pleased that I had tried and said my first attempt was much neater than hers.

Another mum overheard that I wanted to learn crochet and she offered before Christmas to help me if I needed it.

She also saw my little square today and said I had done well.

Can't wait to try my new ball of wool on some other stitches now :D

I only meant a beginner as in I still make mistakes with the ends of rows and can never seem to join a circle neatly :wink:

My name is bluekarin and I crochet A LOT! :lol:

I am currently working on Sophie's Universe mandala. It's a crochet along and I am now on week three and loving it :D The plan is to stop before it's turned into a square and make it into a round cushion cover. I am doing it in Drops Muscat which my daughter bought me for my birthday last year, with a 3.5mm hook. Lovely rich colours with a bit of a sheen :D

well I have a local wool shop today, was speaking to the lady about learning and what I wanted to achieve and she said they do courses there!!!!! Just 2hrs a week for 4 weeks in the evening.. :D I am booked up baby and starting on monday!! Think they show you a different basic stitch each time and you practice in the week. She says that it helps keep straight edges! Wish me luck?