quickcluck

would like to learn to crochet

That's amazing QC - well done - really pretty!!! 8)

I've finished my greyhound (including the nightmare tail!!!) and am going to try and post a pic - don't have photobucket so will need to open an account = unless I can post from Dropbox - does anyone know?

8)

Yes, actually, for a first attempt I'm quite pleased with him - there are things I would do differently if I make another one, but overall, he's come out quite well. I've made him into a "sofa loafer" which is rather appropriate for greyhounds!

Edited by Guest

Funny you should say that QC - I had thought it would be nice to make a few for the Retired Greyhound Trust (where Willow came from) to sell as a fundraiser - the thing is, for the time it took me to make just one, I think I'd be better off just donating the money and forget about making the crochet greyhounds!!!! :oops::lol::anxious:

He looks awesome! Great job!

That is the trouble with crocheting and knitting isn't it? Takes loads of time, so when selling, they should be quite expensive to reflect the work that went in it. But then "Ooops, word censored!"ody would consider buying any...

Not sure if I need to start a separate thread (or should that be yarn, in this case :roll: ) for this, but, I'm LOVING crochet and learning SO MUCH!!! I discovered yesterday that there's something called an invisible decrease stitch for working in the round (I had noticed that decrease stitches tend to look "bigger" that others and your stuffing shows through :oops: ) Invisible decrease is supposed to get around this - does anyone use it and if so, is it successful?

I'm trying to make a crochet donkey, for fundraising for the Donkey Sanctuary, so using the pattern they provide. I'm ok with it so far except for one line of the pattern which I just don't understand - it's the last round for the body which is intended to make a sloping 'neck' to join to the head, but I don't understand the difference between the stitches, this is what the pattern says:

"...1 single crochet, 1 half double crochet, 1 double crochet, 2 treble crochet, 1 double crochet 1 half double crochet..."

Can anyone help, please??? :oops:

Thanks

I'm guessing it is a UK pattern, so that means that:

Single crochet: hook through, pull yarn through both loops (work and loop already on your hook)

Double crochet: hook through, pull yarn through loop of work, pull yarn through both loops again (this is your normal)

Treble: add extra loop on hook(just loop it round), hook through work(3 loops on hook), pull yarn through first two loops (2 loops on hook) then pull yarn through remaining two loops on hook.

Half double: add extra loop on hook, hook through work (3 loops on hook), pull yarn through all three loops

From small to big: single, double, half double and then treble. The strange thing is, that they mixed uk and us terms. I don't think uk has half doubles, and it should be named half treble. But then the pattern will not make a nice cresent shape. If it is a cresent shape you're after, it should be:

1 single, 1 double, 1 half treble, 2 treble, 1 half treble, 1 double etc.

Hope this helps!

Single crochet - hook through stitch then pull yarn through both loops on hook

Half double crochet- yarn round hook, hook through stitch and bring yarn through then pull yarn through three loops on hook

Double crochet - yarn round hook, hook through stitch and bring yarn through then pull yarn through 1st two loops on hook then pull yarn through two remaining loops on hook

Treble crochet - yarn round hook twice, hook through stitch and bring yarn through then pull yarn through 1st 2 loops on hook, then pull yarn through next 2 stitches on hook then pull yarn through last 2 stitches on hook

:D phew

You are a star, thank you Cat tails! I sort of did what you suggested and "codged" the pattern a bit, I seem to have ended up with a crescent shape which I figured was what was needed, but the terminology was REALLY confusing me!!

Thank you!!! :clap:

You are a star, thank you Cat tails! I sort of did what you suggested and "codged" the pattern a bit, I seem to have ended up with a crescent shape which I figured was what was needed, but the terminology was REALLY confusing me!!

Thank you!!! :clap:

Thanks all - the pattern uses single crochet, double crochet, half treble, half double, you name it, I tend to think the pattern has been codged together from one or more other patterns and just switched between terminology.

The thing that's causing me grief now is his mane! Simple but SOOOO time consuming - I can see that part taking longer than the rest of him put together, all I have to do is make little loops of yarn, but it's taking AGES!!! :o