tonywig

Bedding in fixed run on earth

A quick search suggests there are hundreds of posts about bedding so I hope you will forgive yet another one.

I have built a fixed run (6' x 9') into which I can easily walk (6'6" tall). My cube is attached to the outside of the run. The girls have free access between cube and run all day and night.

The walls of the run (heavy duty fence trellis overlaid with heavy duty mesh) sit on slabs to stop anything digging underneath but the remainder of the floor is just earth.

I'm finding it a bit of an onerous task, especially in winter, to keep the floor clean for them.

Question is ... what is the best option for added bedding to an earth floor ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

We put down a membrane with sand on top. We are on clay. No flooding so far though the sand is heavy when wet. Due to my girls digging the Aubiose off the pull out coop floor, there is a good load of it mixed in with the sand too. The thing I have found is the girls don't get muddy wet feet and I hope this will help to stop anything like bumblefoot starting. Sand is not everyone's cup of tea but it's currently working well here.

We poo pick all the runs and enclosures every day Tonywig. There is no other way for best hygiene and least smell.

Bark chips worked for us, but they do dig them about so you need boarded sides to keep most of it in the run. I can see benefits to having a membrane down first. You will need about 6" deep. I'd add a soil bath area. Wet bark chips last about 6 months, dry ones seem to last years. So how often you need to change the chips depends on the covered area.

I can see advantages to sand. We keep all our chicks from 1 week to 6 weeks on kiln dried sand. We sieve it through regularly and that could be done for older chickens as well. But in time it will smell.

Tonywig, you haven't said if your run is covered? I think that is the single biggest contribution to keeping the floor in good condition, because if it is uncovered and gets wet then it's much harder to keep clean.

Whatever you use, at some point you'll have to shovel it out and replace it so I'd choose something you can compost like sawdust, aubiose or bark chippings. Sand sounds good but I don't know how you'd dispose of it if it's very dirty.

We poo pick all the runs and enclosures every day Tonywig. There is no other way for best hygiene and least smell.

Bark chips worked for us, but they do dig them about so you need boarded sides to keep most of it in the run. I can see benefits to having a membrane down first. You will need about 6" deep. I'd add a soil bath area. Wet bark chips last about 6 months, dry ones seem to last years. So how often you need to change the chips depends on the covered area.

I can see advantages to sand. We keep all our chicks from 1 week to 6 weeks on kiln dried sand. We sieve it through regularly and that could be done for older chickens as well. But in time it will smell.

I poo pick every day too. We have sharp sand which wouldn't be great for chicks I guess. Yes a good sieve and rake are required for hygiene and I currently put down Net-tex Ground sanitiser but will get some Stallosan - F or Bio-Dri. I plan to add extra bags in due course to rotate in cleaner sand.

My run is covered but even then rain obviously blows in the sides so it does get "washed" to a point.

Well despite all arguments from OH he wants the droppings to compost. I said about the sand and he didn't seem phased.

As I said it works for us and the girls love the giant sand bath.

Edited by Guest

I put down a really thick layer of Easibed on the earth floor of my run. It all gets mixed up with the earth as they scratch about in it but it does stay very dry (my run is covered) and as I poo pick every morning, it lasts months before I have to do a big clean out. I put down Bio-Dry every few weeks too.

Is your run on slabs?

I'm still looking for the ultimate solution too - 4m x 2m covered with tarp Omlet WIR. Sides tarped mostly too. Currently have wood chip (hardwood not bark chip). Lasts a good six months. Fun to dig out and replace with fresh!

This has been recommended:http://www.newlandpoultry.co.uk/index.php/2014-01-31-22-04-44/chicken-run-mud-management and is one of my considerations.

Then Mollyripkim - on this forum posted this which I thought sounded a good idea:

"Sorry to hear you are having trouble with wood chip, I know it's difficult in th wet weather. We have tried all sorts but finally are happy with the results. My run is fixed with a weld mesh bottom to stop predators, this is topped with plastic pallets, then a porous membrane. Finally a deep layer of woodchip. Although it gets mucky around the edges and anywhere it gets wet it dries out surprisingly quickly as the worst of the water can drain through the membrane. Tried the cheaper woven membrane which didn't work as the girls shredded it. Got the pallets cheap and they are fairly easy to cut to size. It's been down since April and woodchip still looking good, I do use stalosan regularly."

I also wondered whether you could do with the same thing with these:

http://www.matsgrids.co.uk/rubber-grass-mats/52-rubber-grass-protection-mats.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAuremBRCbtr-1qJnKi-4BEiQAh0x08IvX6ojWwk8HhbtsdI9OpMu5TT_B_Ck9Z0SbcFw4inEaAr528P8HAQ

Covering with a deep layer of wood chip - they would drain well and presumably stop the earth mixing with the wood chip - has anyone tried this sort of arrangement?

My only issue with the last two would be finding some arrangement for dust bathing where it gets contained!

I have heard of people using rubber chippings (shredded rubber tyres) on the basis they don't rot and can be hosed down. I've looked into this product and discovered that the manufacturers cannot guarantee there won't be pieces of high tensile steel reinforcing wire left in them. That would be very dangerous for chicken's feet and as such I therefore wouldn't suggest using them.

Mines just got a layer of old paving slabs and then I use Aubiose or similar. I use biodry and top the Aubiouse up. It all gets taken out and put on the garden every now and then. I do have a covered run :) I have 2 other runs which are on dirt. Those girls free range all the time and they are in a well sheltered part of the garden. I still use bio dry and sometimes throw in some straw pellets

My run is just a 3m Eglu Go run. It's about 1 third slabs, 2 thirds leaf littery earth. The 1m extension which is mostly earth is pretty much completely covered by a bungeed on shower curtain, the rest which is mostly slabs is covered on top by a clear Omlet cover. Except for when it really rains for days on end, the majority of the floor stays dry enough for some dust bathing in the soil and the Pekins feet feathers haven't been too bad.

When I move and have a WIR, I plan to have slabs topped with wood chip, with maybe two holes in the slabs in the middle of the run for dust bathing areas.

I agree with other posters - I think the key is keeping out the worst of the wet.

I put down a really thick layer of Easibed on the earth floor of my run. It all gets mixed up with the earth as they scratch about in it but it does stay very dry (my run is covered) and as I poo pick every morning, it lasts months before I have to do a big clean out. I put down Bio-Dry every few weeks too.

Is your run on slabs?

No it's not, apart from where the run itself sits.

Wow thanks for all the replies. Lots of advice to consider.

My run is covered (corrugated PVC roof).

A lot of people seem to slab and cover with chippings or aubiose.

If I were to slab the run area, does that interfere with the girls scratching around ?

Want things to be as natural as possible for them.

Tonywig, you haven't said if your run is covered? I think that is the single biggest contribution to keeping the floor in good condition, because if it is uncovered and gets wet then it's much harder to keep clean.

I agree; the main thing is to prevent them paddling around in damp bedding as that's what will cause bacterial and fungal foot problems, and could also provide a breeding ground for Coccidiosis as well as intestinal worm eggs.

While a slabbed or concrete base is easier to clean out, there's nothing wrong with a soil base under the litter; just be sure to rake the litter through with Ground Sanitising Powder (or an equivalent) each week, between a complete mucking out session. Use litter which is dry and easy to compost... my preference is for Aubiose.

Hi my WIR is on earth.

I put down a membrane at then attached steel mesh on top to cover whole base of run and stop any thing digging in.

I then put about 3 inches sand to cover the mesh and then 3 inches of Aubiose on top. I put 2 paving slabs under feed area so I can sweep up spilt food to discourage mice.

My run is covered with coralline, and 2 sides are covered for protection.

I have been really pleased with result. So much better than the wood chips I had in classic run which were wet and smelly in winter and needed changing every month or so.

I poo pick daily and refresh aubiose if looks a bit thin in places. Did one complete clear out after 6 months and took old stuff to recycling.

There is no smell and I'm sure chickens are happier to have dry feet. I sprinkle ground sanitizer powder around every week or fortnight.

Is easy to look after so I hope this helps.