Lewis

Fitness and Activity Trackers

Does anyone have a Fitbit, Jawbone or similar activity monitor?

We took part in Global Corporate Challenge at work so all wore pedometers for 100 days on a virtual tour of the world and it was really interesting to see how many steps we were all doing a day.

The Activity Trackers (worn on the wrist) generally monitor your daily activity with how many steps you're doing a day, stairs climbed, how well you sleep and some do pulse monitoring too. They connect to apps or your laptop to show your progress, miles walked etc and you can set challenges to motivate yourself.

They're expensive so not going to jump in buy one straight away but am v tempted.

A friend got a Withings Pulse O2 for Christmas and is impressed with it but said he wouldn't buy another and would get a different model, so didn't know if any Omleteers had any comments.

Any feedback or recommendations welcome :D

Thanks

I asked for a tracker thingy for Xmas....just wanted to know how many steps I was doing as wanted to make sure I was doing over 5 000! OH bought one that clips onto my waistband..its an Ozeri 4x sport (no, I'd never heard of them either!!!)

Its quite basic but I am getting addicted to it and keep checking (have to be careful and remember where I am as I have to hoike up my top to get to my waistband.....not recomended in the middle of Tesco or a Govenor's Meeting!!!!!) It tells me the number of steps, calories used, distance covered.

I was also given a gadget to wear on my wrist which is supposed to monitor my sleep, calories in/out :shock: and connects to OH's 'phone. However, even having read the instructions several times, I have absolutely no idea how to work it :roll: just too techie for me! I have heard that the wrist ones are not as accurate when calculating the number of steps but, as I can't work mine, I am unable to comment on that :lol::wink:

For me, the basic clip on does the job beautifully and I am pleased with it.....no idea how much it cost (I suspect around £20.00 :think: )

I have Endomondo app on my phone but it's gone a bit awry when I started using my new phone - won't link up to the old history. But apart from that it was quite good and accurate for distances as it uses satellite tracking. Hubby uses a different one but don't know which. I can apparently add a heart rate monitor etc.

I've had a Striiv for over a year, it counts steps, stairs, calories used (don't believe that is very accurate), distance covered and time spent active. I can look at the daily stats and overall averages, and also load the data on my pc on their website. It clips to my belt or goes in my pocket.

I think it was about £70 at the time (present from my daughter) but it also has islands and gardens you can build with the credits you earn from being active, so it is my sort of thing. OH reckons it's more like a game but I like it :D .

I have never heard of a fitness tracker...but these really look like something I would love ....can anyone recommend a waterproof one especially as most my activity is in the pool ???

Also I do not have a smart phone (In fact my phone is in a museum in Bexhill !!!!) so I need a fitness tracker that does not need a smart phone...

Thank you...

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Just been speaking to Mom and mentioned I was saving up for a FitBit, both my parents bought Charge HR's this week ...and offered to buy me one :D

I've been on a bit of a health kick since Christmas so really looking forward to using this, especially seeing how it does while we're skiing!

OH got home on Wednesday and ordered the fitbit surge , which I had promised he could have for his birthday. He is more than pleased with it . And his fitbit flex ?

I have it now ,, with a new strap and it is more than OK for me , and I know I can go in the pool with his flex as he wears it to the gym , shower and pool when swimming.

Can't beat recycling.

I decided to look into another tracker that I can use when I'm swimming and also one that records heart rate. It looks as if the Fitbit is not supposed to be worn when swimming, the Jawbone UP 3 seems to be the best for what I want (although I'm not sure if the UP 3 has been released in the UK yet) - but lots of people have reported reliability issues with Jawbones.

Decisions decisions :think:

The choice is confusing but apart from the fact that Fitbit was recommended, some (mainly bands) did more than I wanted or needed, like linking to a mobile phone to alert you to when you have received a text message or phone call. You don't have to have a smart phone to sync with Fitbit which is another advantage.

I bought the Fitbit One as it seemed the most suitable for me. I wanted to be able to track my sleep, my steps and number of flights of stairs, if possible. It still counts my steps even in my pocket whereas my pedometer is sometimes inaccurate. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably to do with not always having a suitable waistband to clip it to, hence, having to go in a pocket. From the specifications, it should cope with me getting too hot or caught in the rain without a coat. Yoone.

I have been using an app on my mobile to track my mileage on my bicycle and can add some of the details to the Fitbit Dashboard later.