Stargazer99

Bananas and worming.

I have two questions can chickens eat bananas? I am new to chicken keeping and have 4 lovely ladies who are all laying well. Also I read somewhere that you should not worm chickens unless they have worms. I was under the impression that they should be done every 3 months. Confused now!!

You must set up a good worming regime and stick to it, namely worm every three months with Flubervent, you can use the powder and mix with the feed or you can buy the pre measured pellets and just feed them that.

you must feed that feed alone and worm for a full week. During that time they must have no treats and no free-ranging.

All hens that have access to grass or dirt will have a worm burden of some sort and worming them regularly will lessen that burden and keep your girls healthy.

You can use a gut conditioner between worming but it does not act as a wormer and the only wormer you should use or trust is flubenvet.

I use a ivermectin (not licenced for use on poultry) based spot on every three months too as a preventative for lice/ticks/bugs/mites/worms/etc

I also keep a medicine book to remind me when they are due and what they have been given

I give my hens a pear or the odd apple once a week but have not tried a banana so not sure

As said, you are best to worm with Flubenvet powder or pellets which it looks like you're already on top of so well done :D

Personally I don't worm every 3 months, I would probably say once a year but get a Fecal Worm Egg Count done to see if they actually need doing; worming without the need can increase resistance further down the line.

You can buy a test kit online where you collect a representative sample from the flock and send it for testing, such as this one from Westgate Labs or you could ask your local vets. I would test the flock rather than individual birds to keep costs down, plus if one has worm eggs they will all need treating.

Banana as is high in sugar so I would maybe stick to sweetcorn, tomatoes, grapes and melon.

Not sure Defra would be happy about feeding cooked chicken! LOL! But I want to try crickets - that could be fun. I picked a pea shoot and offered it to mine yesterday. I was given the snooty beak in the air as she turned and waddled out. I felt sure the fat orpie would guzzle it in seconds - she eats anything and everything else!!!