Saja

Replace new off-colour chicken?

I apologise for the long post but can't seem to make it shorter!

I got my first ever birds a week ago Thursday. Three of them seemed ok and one was a little quiet. She is a favorelle and actually laid an egg in the border a few hours after arriving! When it was bedtime I used sweet corn to tempt them into the run. The only one who didn't understand was the favorelle. I tried to show her the way (as gently as I could) but must've frightened her because she laid another egg (soft shell). I managed to catch her and put her in the run.

The next day she seemed ok, although still quieter than the others, but the day after she became very ill. It looked like she had a cold with mucous all round her beak and her beak was open because she couldn't breathe properly. After reading some forums I thought she would die so was very upset (a bit of an over reaction I know but I just wanted everything to go well). I rang the breeder who told me not to worry, it was only the stress of moving which should clear up in a couple of days and if she was still bad he'd replace her. So I worried for a couple of days, watching her suffer, barely eating or drinking and just standing around, hardly moving and looking in a really bad way. I rang the breeder again and said that I could hear that her breathing was rattling. He told me that it definitely sounded like stress which should clear up in another couple of days.

That was Thursday and she is definitely a bit better now. Her beak is shut. She is drinking and I can get her to eat when I isolate her in the run - a little sweet corn, wild bird feed and worms from my compost heap. My son saw her eat a few pellets this morning. I even saw her have a little peck on the ground, the fist time since she became ill. But mostly she is just standing or sitting very still.

Do you think it's worth giving her a chance or should I replace her? I read a post somewhere that said that lots of things will stress a bird who is prone to it, such as moulting and introducing new birds etc.

I really don't feel that I have the experience to deal with problems yet. I want to get used to them and for them to get used to me first, and at least to be comfortable handling them. The other 3 are wonderful by the way, scratching around, dust bathing and running over to me whenever I come out.

I also wonder if I should ask for a refund rather than trying to introduce a new bird, what with my limited experience.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with your new chickens.

You might have been better off with replacing the bird, but I think it's too late now for swapping a hen. The other three are probably well established now and you would be introducing a new hen, which is a long process of slow introductions.

If she is finally perking up a bit, then you might want to give it a try, but personally I would have taken the to the vet. She is clearly feeling very unwell and not eating and drinking are not good signs.

Sorry I can not be of any more help.

Hi and welcome :) . What a stressful start to chicken keeping for you :( . I think the breeder has fobbed you off :? . I don't think it wouldn't have lasted so long unless she was ill. Perhaps you could take her back to the breeder but not replace her? Three is a good number to start with and you could always add a pair of new girls in the future.

I'd understand if you are attached to her by now and would find that hard but it must be spoiling your enjoyment of the others worrying about the poor girl.

Thank you for your replies. She seemed a bit better this morning and scratched the ground so I was feeling really optimistic but not long after, she was just the same as before. I have watched her on and off today, agonising over what to do. I finally rang the breeder who said he will take her back and offered me another Favorelle. I asked about the difficulties of introducing a new bird but he said it would be ok once the pecking order was sorted out. I have a Rhode Island Red who is the boss and the other 2, a Pekin and a Brahma are very sweet and docile. I'm still not sure whether to just leave it at 3 or hope the new bird will fit in quickly, being a docile breed? Any thoughts are welcome.

I have never introduced chickens before, but do understand it can be a long and stressful period. You would need to be able to house the new chicken in a seperate run and house for some time. Chickens can be mean and hard on new comers. I would personally not try and introduce a new chicken to your existing 3.

I started off with 3 myself and it makes a nice little flock.

Thanks Cat tails. I think you're right. I don't need any more stress at the moment and neither do the birds. The healthy 3 are getting along very well together and are already friendly with me. Hopefully everything will be good for a while.

I agree with Cattails. And I'm sorry to hear you've had such a difficult start.

I would say that I don't think the breeder has behaved particularly well. What you've described sounds like something more serious than stress from moving, I think he's tried to fob you off. And whilst what he said about introducing a single isn't exactly wrong, it's the 'sorting out the pecking order' that would be the problem.

I hope things get easier now and you can enjoy the three you have. How's the Pekin getting on with the big girls? I'd like to see some photo's - she must look tiny compared to the Brahma!

Hi mullethunter, I couldn't take her back as she seemed to perk up a bit today. I sprinkled some pellets in front of her and she ate them. Then she scratched around a bit and later on she had a dust bath which made me think she must be on the mend. But then I noticed one eye was a bit sticky and she has had green diarrhoea which I've been searching for on the net and it doesn't sound too good. I think I am probably a bit too sentimental about it all! I have to decide what to do tomorrow. Every time I see her doing something 'normal' I think 'this is it, she's better'. I spoke again to the breeder earlier today and he's happy for me to ring everyday if I want but he also said I can take her back any time too. He hasn't really been forthcoming with any advice, just keeps saying it's ok. I don't think I'll be using him again.

The Pekin was an absolute impulse buy but I couldn't resist her and she is SO sweet. I'd post a photo if I knew how!

Ah what a shame you have had this experience first time chicken keeping. But, you have already learned a lot about chicken health/normal behaviour/not normal by the way you are talking. That is a good skill for any chicken keeper :wink:

I think I would either take her to a vet (I personally don't think she will get better on her own) or take her back (save yourself anymore heartache) Green poo is a bad sign :( I also had a poor breeder experience for my first 3 pekins :( They are all gone now, but I have just hatched :D Another experience.....not to be taken lightly as I got 6 boys out of 8 eggs :oops: That's a whole other story! But I have found your own hatched under a broody hen chickens seem easiest to integrate.

Pekins are fab......if a bit fiesty :roll: I have only kept pekins :D

If you are set to keeping the hen, then you really should take her to the vet. Keeping her like this and hoping for the best is not fair on the hen either. She should be seen too and maybe get medication. I doubt the breeder will, but that is his decision.

The Pekin is great, a dear little bird. It was the Favorelle that was ill. With regret, I took her back to the breeder who gave her the once over and thought she needed worming. He thought she must have somehow been missed as he has quite a lot of birds. He said he would worm her, give her an injection and reassured me that she would be fine. I just wish I'd taken her back sooner to spare her and me the heartache. The rest are doing wonderfully and are all laying now.

Sorry to hear your early experience has been so traumatic. I know how you feel, I had a Mrs Pepperpot who was a bit sickly straight after arrival but she did recover after the vet gave her some Baytril. She arrived with mycoplasma which sounds like your girl.

I wouldn't touch a Favourelle with a barge pole. They are gorgeous, sweet, docile girls, but they seem so fragile and sickly. My friend has had three, and she only has one left and she is a complete baby.

What did you decide to do?

I returned her and got a refund. He offered to replace her but I didn't want the worry of introducing a new bird just yet. I think I'll get another two next year from a different breeder. The other three are wonderful. When I let them free range they follow me everywhere, hoping that I will spoil them again by digging up tasty morsels. The last couple of weeks have been a joy and hopefully it will stay that way for a long time :D